Bus route map schematic diagram doesn't look right

04-30-2013 10:12 PM
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

I'd like to create bus route maps by Schematic tool. I'm following the instruction of tutorial and blog to make mock up. My steps are below:

1. digitized 2 dummy bus routes. They have a middle bit overlap (same geometry)

2. created points at join segments

3. created schematic dataset, with layout template as Geo-Partial Overlapping Links, offset 50.00m

4. generated new schematic diagram with selection

5. result returned very weird as the points is on top right and lines became points and located bottome left corner. Please see the map attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23893[/ATTACH]

Any idea what I've missed.

Many thanks in advance.
Thao
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Thanks for your information Rick. I think I know where to fix.

0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III

So did you get it working correctly?

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Thanks for asking Rick. I fixed the field name and also successfully generated POL diagram, please see the attached file (even though not that good looking yet )

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

Excellent!  Glad we were able to get you up and running again.

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Rick,

The schematicPOL map that I'm doing has 62 routes. Do you have any tips for me to create the map quickly and beautifully please?

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

Not really any tips...62 routes is a lot of overlapping possibilities.  Work the the Partial Overlapping Links algorithm.  Hopefully that will get you 80+% or so there and then you will have to use the various manual tools to finish up.  I have seen folks use the schematics side to get the overlapping taken care of and then exporting that as standard features to do other cartographic finishing on top.  All depends on how much overlapping there is and what you are trying to achieve with the final output.

ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Rick,

Thank you very much for your reply. I currently has a issue. I solved 20 routes so far with 750 bus stops. When i added the 751th bus stop then the bus stops  on network analysis window is disappear. Please see the attached file. Is that the issue with the memory on map document? My mxd is only 1.4MB.

0 Kudos
RickAnderson

It sounds like maybe you posted this same question elsewhere at the same time because the network analyst team already claimed they answered this question but I don't see any info here.  Anyway, apparently 750 is what they consider the 'useful' limit for the treeview.  After that, if you need to see it you can use the table window to view everything.  Hope that helps.  This thread has become pretty bloated, so I am going to stop watching it as I have resolved the main issues.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III

Hi Rick, thanks for your respond. I asked the community in Network Analysis area the question above as I though somebody already experienced the same problem (https://community.esri.com/message/456321?et=watches.email.thread#456321)

You've been a great help Rick.

0 Kudos