Anyway to access a ".map" created awhile ago with ArcPlot?

Jump to solution
03-19-2019 01:07 PM
petegillard
New Contributor III

Anyway to access a ".map" created awhile ago with ArcPlot? I remember when ArcGIS came out one could still get at the command line start "Arc" and use arcplot/arcedit that way. Needless to say, it's been awhile, and am now getting request to 'resurrect' some old report maps for updates. 

Any ideas would help.

thanks,

Pete

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are looking for workstation, you can still get the media but have to ask for it special from Esri. I still can run my instance of workstation on my current version of Windows 10 on my laptop. 

ArcInfo Workstation Guidance

Steve, I am sad I don't have those nifty binders anymore. You kind of need them because the win32hlp is very difficult to get working under win10 (it can be done, but it's really difficult).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

Fire up workstation and then Arcplot. Try this command:

MINFO {.map file name with path}

The command lists all the map elements in the current map composition or specified map composition (file).

Documentation notes:

You must use the MAP command to specify a map composition before using MINFO.

• MINFO lists all the map elements in your current MAP composition. Each map element is liste din sequential order, preceded by an (E) and its element number. The currently selected map element(s) are marked with an asterisk (*) in the MINFO list. The currently masked map element(s) are marked with an (M) in the MINFO list.

• MINFO gives the pathname of each map element and the command string that generated the element or the comment specified with MEND or MGROUP when the element was grouped.

• The listing produced by MINFO is immediately displayed on the screen. The Continue? prompt allows you to view the listing one page at a time. Hit <CR> to bring up the listing. Type Y to display the rest of the listing. Type N to terminate the listing.

[I knew there was a reason I still kept my set of 6.0 hardcopy documentation! )

curtvprice
MVP Esteemed Contributor

If you are looking for workstation, you can still get the media but have to ask for it special from Esri. I still can run my instance of workstation on my current version of Windows 10 on my laptop. 

ArcInfo Workstation Guidance

Steve, I am sad I don't have those nifty binders anymore. You kind of need them because the win32hlp is very difficult to get working under win10 (it can be done, but it's really difficult).

0 Kudos
petegillard
New Contributor III

Thanks for all the answers. Don't currently have Workstation. i'll have to look into that.

Thanks again.

Pete

0 Kudos
SteveCole
Frequent Contributor

While I pine for the "good 'ol days" of Workstation, honestly, you're better off making a new map from scratch. The MINFO output is essentially what you would have typed into an AML file so there's no actual data inside it- just instructions on how to draw the map (layer1 is first, layer2 is second, add a title over here on the page, add a legend here, etc).