Where's Home icon for returning to default extent?

11-20-2019 04:32 AM
CarlosSousa_Ferreira1
New Contributor III

Hello!

Congrats on the new map viewer layout! For what I explored it seems very nice, but I'm having trouble finding the Home icon for returning to the default map extent. This feature is very important, because the default map extent influences all the related Web Maps, and, if you save the map without returning to default extent first, there it goes.

I would suggest also, at least during the beta phase, that there's a button to easilly switch between the new and the old map viewer.

Thanks.

Carlos

7 Replies
MichaelLohr
Occasional Contributor II

I agree on the Home button. And the need to easily switch between standard and beta viewers, especially considering some of the functionality  is still missing in beta. May not be easy to do, though. Good thoughts.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @mll@johnsoneng.com, for switching between the new map viewer and the old version, do you have a specific workflow in mind where this would help out (this is something that has been considered but as you mentioned not easy to do in a consistent and meaningful fashion. i.e, not just a generic link).

Cheers,

chris

0 Kudos
MichaelLohr

Chris, for people who utilize the tables for searching, sorting and filtering, if we author layers in the beta viewer and do the symbology there, which is getting enhanced capabilities, then have to save, navigate back to the items detail page then reopen back in the normal Viewer and have to come back to that viewer every time we want to use a table, it becomes less likely that we will work much in the beta Viewer. At least until the functionality catches up. And I see that the layer editing capability is also down the road as well. If it was easy to go back and forth between Viewers, it would be worthwhile, but maybe hard to justify a lot of effort on a temporary function.

Thanks

Mike

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Mike, makes sense.

It sounds like you were part of the conversations when thinking about this . What you said is spot on..for workflows like viewing the attribute table in the existing viewer, the thinking is that it would be challenging to correctly maintain a good experience (for instance, when your map is only partially configured and the changes arent ready to be saved). And the cycles to do this would be better spent on getting the feature installed in the new viewer (especially in the case for tables, which is not expected to be far off).

We'll continue to review and think about where we can make it easier for working around functionality not yet in the new viewer.

Cheers

Chris

MichaelLohr

Sounds reasonable to me, Chris. I wonder if you could have the standard Viewer in one browser window and the beta in another, looking at the same web map. Then you would just save, switch browser windows, hit the refresh button to catch previous changes then use the tables from the standard Viewer window. You only really need to switch back and forth during the map development phase.

So, the tables had some existing functional problems when handling of large tables, like limited record retrieval without user notification of that or improper sort order when changing ascending/descending orders. Will the tables get a general overhaul when they get incorporated into the beta Viewer?

Thanks

Mike

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor
 I wonder if you could have the standard Viewer in one browser window and the beta in another, looking at the same web map. Then you would just save, switch browser windows, hit the refresh button to catch previous changes then use the tables from the standard Viewer window. You only really need to switch back and forth during the map development phase.

Yeah, not ideal but that's about the best workaround for now. The initial introduction of tables in map viewer beta likely won't have much in terms of enhancements but the expectation is to then add things over time. The issues you mention sound more like bugs though (or limitations at some level). Do you have bug / enhancement numbers from Esri? I can take a look into them. 

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1
Esri Frequent Contributor

We do have plans to add the home widget to the app. Thank you for your feedback.

For switching you will have to save your web map then in Map Viewer(classic) you can click on More Details and click on Open in Map Viewer Beta. When coming from Map Viewer Beta you can click on the Share icon and that will give you a link to the item details where you can open in Map Viewer(classic).