Map does not render on a Hub Page

Jump to solution
03-20-2020 08:25 PM
SimonJackson
Occasional Contributor III

We used the latest Map Viewer to take advantage of Label Classes for mapping the COVID-19 Cases

This fails to render when viewed on Safari or Chrome on an iPhone:

On Firefox/Chrome in a Desktop, renders great in both edit mode and normal view:

The Hub site is not currently public (due to this issue) but the Map can be viewed here:

https://esriau.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c0ec8598c02b478aab940ce1e9630b48 

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
GrahamHudgins
Esri Regular Contributor

HI there from the Hub team - we're looking into it! Thanks for raising

0 Kudos
SimonJackson

Hey Graham.  Love your teams work!

We have replicated from a few different devices.  Let us know if you can replicate and if you think the above fix from Chris is the way to go for now (I will try tomorrow, midnight down under!)

Thanks for looking into it.  The Hub is getting a bit of traffic now

0 Kudos
GrahamHudgins
Esri Regular Contributor

Chris definitely knows more than me! But we also saw this sort of thing happen with a `media` embed too so it might be Hub and not the beta

0 Kudos
SimonJackson

Interesting.  Let me know what you find out.  Would be a real shame if we have to rever our styling to the existing Web Map.  We failed to replicate the labelling and combining new lines and changes of colour using proportional symbols on polygons.  The new Map Viewer label classes are amazing.

0 Kudos
ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Simon - sorry I should clarify a bit more:

- The reason I mentioned to use an app like Media map vs Map Viewer Beta is that the configurable apps like Media maps are better suited for being embedded for the most part. There isn't yet an embed experience for the new map viewer like how there is for the current viewer. 

- The issue with embedding not working is separate from Map Viewer Beta, especially given that it is happening on mobile devices only (and iOS specifically). Graham's mention that it is happening for the Media map as well so definitely seems to be something else going on. Once the root cause is identified, we'll know more.

- Maps produced by map viewer beta can be used in other apps (the maps themselves aren't beta products, only the app is). I think the issue you're trying to work around is that labeling is much improved in the 4x jsapi (used by Map Viewer Beta) vs the 3x jsapi (used by Map Viewer Classic). This all ultimately means that you can use configurable apps built on the 4x jsapi (list available here) for a similar experience with multiple label classes (3x jsapi has some support but labels are overall better in 4x jsapi)...once the embed issue is sorted.

Hope that helps make it a bit clearer

Cheers,

Chris

0 Kudos
YvetteBevis
Esri Contributor

Hi Simon, 

I can confirm all indicators and maps on the hub are now working as expected in the latest version of Chrome on Android 9. 

Thanks for all your hard work on this.

Yvette

0 Kudos