Manage New Feature Symbology

02-18-2021 09:03 AM
Labels (1)
E_-_MattReed__GISS_
New Contributor II

When creating a new map in Map Viewer Beta, I have a layer symbolized by type, and I want to filter out most of the feature types. If I set a filter and/or remove the feature types from the symbology, they all still populate in the Add New Feature box when editing. In classic Map Viewer, there is a "Manage" button that allows them to be removed. If I open the feature layer in another new map in classic Map Viewer, I can use the Manage button to remove the unwanted classes.

Will there be a way to make this work once the Viewer transitions to the Beta version?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Could you tell me, which "manage" button are you referring to, in classic map viewer?

Think Location
0 Kudos
E_-_MattReed__GISS_
New Contributor II

Certainly.

When you Edit in classic Map Viewer, below the Add Feature box, there are three buttons: UNDO, REDO, MANAGE. Selecting MANAGE brings up an interface where you can remove features that are symbolized by type.

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1
Esri Frequent Contributor

Currently there are no plans to introduce template management in the Map Viewer. 

0 Kudos
E_-_MattReed__GISS_
New Contributor II

Is there another way to manage the template of which I'm unaware? Once the move to the Beta version occurs, how will we be able to remove template items from a layer view based on a hosted layer?

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

For domains you can use the item detail page for the hosted feature layer and edit the list under Data tab > Fields View and remove or add them. Would recommend deeper changes to the templates to use ArcGIS Pro with a local copy and overwriting the service. 

0 Kudos
E_-_MattReed__GISS_
New Contributor II

If I remove domain members from a layer view, won't that cascade back to the source layer?

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

Correct, which is one of the reasons why we don't have plans to implement this. Creating a different template at the map level vs the layer+service level is not something we want to promote and can cause issues as you start going into apps using just the layer/service, offline/local data collection etc. 

0 Kudos
E_-_MattReed__GISS_
New Contributor II

OK, so maybe you can offer me a solution to my problem. I'm going to use actual scenarios instead of generalizations so it's more clear what I'm doing and why.

I have a hosted point layer that holds data for all types of wildfire suppression points - it's a clone of the National Incident Feature Set that we use in-state. The "boots on the ground" personnel have access to all 30-40-odd point types via one view, while the folks who fly aerial recon have a second view that only shows six types. This was set up this way because the personnel in the aircraft will only need those few points, and rather than scrolling through the entire list to find what they need, these were pulled out for them - they have a lot to watch when they're in the air, and the simpler the better. The filter option removes the other symbols from the legend and the display, but it doesn't remove it from the template, and so you end up having to scroll through every point type when adding a new feature anyway.

Pulling out those features and placing them in a separate layer isn't a viable option - there are other views set up on this layer, and it would double the number of layers we would have to manage in our various maps.

There has to be some sort of resolution to this - perhaps including the Add Item template when filtering a layer? You've created these views so that we can manage and symbolize data differently, and consequently making things simpler, but removing this functionality seems like a step backward. I know for a fact, through searching this Community, that others are doing the same thing I'm doing - it's extremely helpful. What about when someone wants some people to be able to add a certain feature type, but not others?

RussellRoberts1

Quick question - are you just using a domain field to drive the template or is it subtype based?

0 Kudos