First Impressions of Map Viewer Beta

11-18-2019 09:15 AM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

The ArcGIS Online team has been working on the Map Viewer Beta for a while and can't wait to hear your initial feedback. Please let us know what your thoughts about the new layout, functionality, pop-ups, smart mapping, etc.

50 Replies
BrandonMcInnis
New Contributor

Do we know if point clustering showing a 'number value' will be included in future beta map viewer functionality?  It would be helpful.  I feel like the current level of clustering is great, but not intuitive enough for those that need to be spoon fed with values.

Thanks.

Image result for clustering numbers map agol

What you have:

Image result for clustering numbers map agol

0 Kudos
WillekeCoenraats
Esri Contributor

I just checked, but it is not possible to use a Basemap in a different projection from the Default Basemap. I think the roadmap only refers to layers, not Basemaps. Is this something that could be implemented in the new Map Viewer? One of our customers has a WGS84 as Default Basemap, but needs an RD_New Basemap. However, since his colleague needs a WGS84 for this project they cannot switch this. You would expect to be able to add both RD_New and WGS84 (and any other projected Basemaps).

0 Kudos
WillekeCoenraats
Esri Contributor

Hi,

I heard there was a new version for the beta, but noticed this issue wasn't fixed. Any idea if this will be fixed before the viewer is officially released? Thank you!

Kind regards,

Willeke

0 Kudos
Alyssia
Occasional Contributor

Initially I liked the new layout, although it does have a bit of a learning curve. However, I just discovered that my hatched symbology that I published via ArcPro is not showing up in the legend in the new Map Viewer, and is also not showing up in the legend of the Interactive Legend Web App either. In my hatched layer I have 3 symbols:

1) A dot fill 

2) A hatch fill

3) A crosshatch fill

Only the dot fill shows up in the legend of the Map Viewer Beta and Interactive Legends Web App. Here is the weird part - all three fills show up just fine in the actual map. 

All three work fine in the legend and map of the old Map Viewer

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

Thanks for reporting this, it sounds like this might be an issue in the 4.x JSAPI legend widget. Will take a look.

Alyssia
Occasional Contributor

Any updates to this issue? 

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

We recently updated the Map Viewer Beta, can you checkout your legend to see if you still have an issue? The other apps you have used haven't been updated yet.

0 Kudos
Alyssia
Occasional Contributor

I checked the legend and now it works perfectly in Map Viewer Beta! Thank you!

Still doesn't work in the Interactive Legend App.  

MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys,

I really enjoy using the new Map Viewer - great job. A few pieces of feedback that I came across last week:

1. One of those things that when you see it, it's obvious, but it took a second look to find! To alter the basemap properties (I was looking for transparency), you have to click in the 'Current basemap' box highlighted below to open the properties panel. I think the default behaviour should be that when you select a different basemap, the sub-page opens with the basemap property options
  2. Turning on/off all layers by holding Ctrl and clicking on the visibility button does not seem to be implemented. This is really useful when dealing with many layers, so I'm hoping it's on the TODO list!
  3. Similar to above, I would love to be able to select multiple layers using Ctrl, click and drag when moving them around/into group layers
  4. In the Scene Viewer you have an option to choose how layers within a group layer can be selected (checkbox/radio/merge/hidden)

Mikie

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

Thanks for the feedback 

- We are looking at the basemap control experience. I dont think we would open a sub page right away bc you might be cycling through different basemaps to find the right fit. vs. knowing the exact basemap and wanting to go to a new dialog right away.

-Bulk actions - this is something we are looking at but isnt planned for an upcoming beta.

-We currently do not have plans to expose these types of groups just yet. 

Thanks 

Russ

0 Kudos