First Impressions of Map Viewer Beta

11-18-2019 09:15 AM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

The ArcGIS Online team has been working on the Map Viewer Beta for a while and can't wait to hear your initial feedback. Please let us know what your thoughts about the new layout, functionality, pop-ups, smart mapping, etc.

50 Replies
RussellRoberts1
Esri Frequent Contributor

The web maps being written out by the Map Viewer Beta should work in both 3.x and 4.x based JSAPI apps. Does the web map work correctly when opening it in Map Viewer(classic).

If you can share the web map as well I can take a look.

Thanks!

Russ

0 Kudos
RobertRayner1
New Contributor III

Thanks for the reply Russell.

It shows up fine in Map Viewer classic with a legend and all, but when I add to the story map, it says "No legend". It's interesting that you can open the map in Classic or Beta.

I can't find a version of the builder, but the top left says "Map Series Builder."

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak
Occasional Contributor II

Hi

I am trying to share a web map Beta, but as soon as I give the link to my client (we are testing on the everyone/public setting), it requests a login. Whereas the normal web map one does not require a login. Is this function not available?

I really need help on this asap.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

Hey Nigel - the same security applies for Web Maps created in either viewer. It's likely that something in the Web Map is not shared publicly, e.g. layer/basemap/locator/print service. Looking at the Web Map item details page can be a good way to look through the layers to ensure they are all shared appropriately.

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Michael

Thanks for your response. All the layers seem to be set to be open publicly. I have even set the base map to the general ESRI imagery service rather than Bing. It seems to be like looking for a needle in a haystack, when you have quite a few layers included. Do the service definitions also need to be shared?

0 Kudos
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

The service definitions don't need to be shared. If you share a link to the Web Map I can probably tell you what is causing the login prompt. I basically look at the network requests via Chrome/Firefox Developer Tools and look for one that returns a token required message. From there you can typically tell what specific request is causing the prompt.

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Michael

The link to the web map beta is: Hidden

Cheers.

0 Kudos
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

The following layer is looking for a token which indicates it's not shared properly - there may be others but this is the first one that I came across: https://tiles.arcgis.com/tiles/1JzTHhMEiV3vKRuI/arcgis/rest/services/Municipal_boundaries_vector_til... 

0 Kudos
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

Also if your organisation has a custom basemap group that may have to be shared publicly, or you can try accessing the map via https://www.arcgis.com/apps/mapviewer/index.html?webmap=3691bea6f5fb41d2ade3f8ef37c7d504  which will use the default ArcGIS Online settings.

0 Kudos
NigelBerjak

Hi Michael

Many thanks. This seems to be quite a tricky process when dealing with many layers and file types etc, for which there is no 'Analyze' assessment, like in ArcPro, which perhaps could be tabled. I have been able to assign everything now to public.

Cheers.

0 Kudos