First Impressions of Map Viewer Beta

11-18-2019 09:15 AM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

The ArcGIS Online team has been working on the Map Viewer Beta for a while and can't wait to hear your initial feedback. Please let us know what your thoughts about the new layout, functionality, pop-ups, smart mapping, etc.

50 Replies
WillekeCoenraats
Esri Contributor

I just checked, but it is still not possible to use a Basemap in a different projection from the Default Basemap. I think the roadmap only refers to layers, not Basemaps. Is this something that could be implemented in the new Map Viewer? One of our customers has a WGS84 as Default Basemap, but needs an RD_New Basemap. However, since his colleague needs a WGS84 for this project they cannot switch this. You would expect to be able to add both RD_New and WGS84 (and any other projected Basemaps).

0 Kudos
AxelLévy
New Contributor III

The viewer does not work with Edge, IE and FF 54. Unable to consider a deployment for our users.

0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

Hey Axel, we are working on Edge support but the Map Viewer beta. IE will not be supported with the Map Viewer beta. The latest desktop browser versions of Chrome, Safari and Firefox are supported. 

Hope this helps.

Russ

0 Kudos
AxelLévy
New Contributor III

I understand but in organizations as important as mine (Paris), browsers are never up to date and are subject to a planned update. We are not administrators of our computers. So you should be specific about supported browser versions for us to deploy a functional Firefox update.

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

I really hope our default browser at work moves away from IE then....

0 Kudos
KassandraRodriguez
Occasional Contributor

I would absolutely love having the option to drag the pop-ups around, please don't settle on just docking it to a corner

0 Kudos
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

I really like the new UI/UX - it will make things a lot easier and save us time. A couple of comments/suggestions:

Popup

• Option to dock by default on click either at web map or layer level would be nice
  • When adding a Rich Text, it would be beneficial to have two buttons
    1. View source button - used to view and alter HTML
    2. View available attribute values - see values that you currently see when you press {. It is a bit clearer with the latest release as it's mentioned initially in the comments but having a button would make it easier to find for new users/users used to the old interface
  • I could see a lot of use for embedded iFrames - e.g. videos, custom web pages. Is something like this planned?

Styling

• For polygons, I often find myself having to manually alter the outline colors. While symbolizing by fill is useful and important, symbolizing by outline is equally as useful, particularly when you have underlying data that you don't want to cover. The following is the interface and options I would like:
    • As things stand, you have to click on each symbol and open multiple menus to alter appropriately
  • Having an option to symbolize using two unique value text fields would be very useful
  • Search symbology - it can be cumbersome to find appropriate symbols through the current interface. I would suggest tags get associated with each symbol so they can be searched as below:

Basemap

• Option to have no basemap/specific color in background as with Web Scenes/set coordinate system. Of course, you can turn transparency on and use vector basemaps, but the idea is to limit network requests
0 Kudos
RussellRoberts1

Thank you for this feedback Michael,

Some comments back to some of the feedback

• Popup docking
    • This is something we are discussing if this is something stored in the web map or a user preference. Currently we store the state so after its docked once it will remain docked for other maps you open with the app until you clear your browser cache.
  • Symbol styler
    • Style using multiple values from same attribute also one that has come up in some feedback but not assigned to an upcoming beta update.
    • Search point symbols is also one we want to include as we update the symbol library. This one will be a bit tricky but we will want to assign these symbols a set of tags and name that work well and help refine the symbols you are looking for.
  • Basemap
    • Introduce a background to the web map - this is planned and we have it in the spec today but will be building up an experience that allows you to set this background color similar to Scene Viewer. background | ArcGIS for Developers 
MichaelKellyTeck
Occasional Contributor

Hey Russell - appreciate you following up. Nice job so far. Sounds like you're well on top of a lot of them!

Thanks,

Mikie

0 Kudos
RobertRayner1
New Contributor III

Can Map Viewer Beta maps be used in a tabbed story map? I tried to add a map to a story today, but only the base map shows up, no layers or menus.

0 Kudos