Compatibility Guide for web maps created with Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta

11-18-2019 05:18 PM

Compatibility Guide for web maps created with Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta

This functionality matrix and compatibility examples outline common workflows and tools that are available in both map viewers. Use this table to identify the expected behavior of specific functionality across Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta. Please note the legend below and the compatibility notes about specific workflows and intended behaviors.

Status

Definition

Full Support

Full functionality, including saving, authoring and modifying available.

Example: Adding and symbolizing feature layers in the map viewer beta is supported.

No Support

The capability is not supported in specified version of Map Viewer. There is no authoring support and if a web map is created using the other map viewer, users will not be able to view the capability saved in a Map Viewer (classic) web map.

Example: If a web map is authored in Map Viewer (classic) with table layers, the table layers will not be included in the map when opened in Map Viewer Beta.

Partial: View Only

It is not possible to author web maps with the mentioned capability in Map Viewer Beta. If a web map is created using Map Viewer (classic), users will be able to view the capability.

Example: If a web map containing layers with time animation is authored in Map Viewer (classic)  is opened in Map Viewer Beta, the time animation will be honored and displayed in Map Viewer Beta but cannot be currently be configured.

Partial: Limited Layer Authoring

Layers of specific layer type are partially supported. Layers can be added to the map when authored in Map Viewer (classic) and have transparency and scale range modified in Map Viewer Beta. It is not possible to change symbology or modify pop-ups for these layer types.

Example: A map, created in Map Viewer (classic), with the Living Atlas demographics Map Image layer can be opened in Map Viewer Beta. The scale range and transparency can be modified but there is no ability to modify the symbols or pop-ups.

Category

Functionality Description

Map Viewer (classic)

Map Viewer Beta

Common workflows

Printing

Full Support

Full Support and more

Standalone tables

Full Support

Full Support

Add layer from file

Full Support

No Support

Analysis

Full Support

No Support

Bookmarks

Full Support

Full Support

Map Notes

Full Support

No Support

Add layer from url

Full Support

Partial: not all layer types supported yet

Layer Authoring Support for all layer types*

Full Support

Partial: not all layer types supported yet

Sharing from Map

Full Support

Full Support

Editing

Full Support

Full Support

Measure

Full Support

Full Support

Feature Layers

Full Support

Full Support

*Layer Types (Currently supported by classic map viewer)

Map Image Layers

Full Support

Partial: Limited Layer Authoring

(OGC) WMTS, WMS

Full Support

Imagery Layers

Full Support

Tile Layers

Full Support

Vector Tile Layers

Full Support

OGC (WFS)

Full Support

No Support

Table Layers

Full Support

Full Support

Feature Collections

Full Support

Clustering

Full Support

Full Support

Arcade: Visualizations

Full Support

Full Support

Mapping Capabilities

Heat Mapping

Full Support

Full Support

Smart Mapping: Dot Density

No Support

Full Support

Pop ups: related records

Full Support

Smart Mapping: other

Full Support

Full Support

Point Symbols

Full Support

Full Support (selected galleries)

Refresh interval

Full Support

Labels including Arcade

Full Support

Full Support

Configure charts in pop ups

Full Support

Full Support

Switch between basemaps with different projections

Full Support

Partial support

Time Animation

Full Support

Full Support

Reorder layers regardless of layer type

No Support

Full Support

Filtering

Full Support

Full Support

Interactive Filter/Prompt for values

Full Support

No Support

Arcade authoring for Pop-Ups

Full Support

Full Support

Other

Localized in All Supported Languages

Full Support

Full Support

Browser: Microsoft Edge

Full Support

Full Support

Mobile Design

Full Support

No Support

Browser: Internet Explorer 11

Full Support

No Support (not on roadmap)

Notes on Forward and Backwards compatibility between Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta

In order to create production ready web maps with new and exciting features, maps created in Map Viewer Beta can be opened in Map Viewer (classic) and vice versa. This allows you to have flexibility in how you author your maps. As there is some a difference in functionality available in the two map viewers, we recommend paying attention to a few details, to make sure that new functionality, like dot density maps can be viewed.  There are notifications in both Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta to notify you of these circumstances, but this article provides some additional details. In most cases the unsupported content just won’t appear. As a rule of thumb, we recommend using the save as functionality when saving web maps that are authored in both Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta. For more information regarding backward compatibility for specific functionality in Map Viewer (classic), see Backward compatibility with Map Viewer (classic).

Comments

Thanks.

Just for the following capability, I created a map with related tables in the classic map viewer, and tried to view it in the new map viewer, but I can find a way to view the related records. 

Category

Functionality Description

Map Viewer (classic)

Map Viewer Beta

Pop ups: related records

Full Support

Is it really working as stated above?

I opened a WebMap and was experimenting with the new beta map viewer, then I saved it. I am now unable to open it in the classic web map. Is this excepted? I have map image layers that I need to be able to configure pop ups on and I am now unable.

Hi Ryker Garrett‌, are you able to share the web map? If not, can you post a screenshot of what you're seeing when the map is opened in the classic map vieweR? 

Thanks -

chris

Chris,

Thanks for your response. The WebMap was pulling in a map image service from our web server. To solve the problem (because I needed to get the WebMap back up and running) I just recreated the map, brought the service back in and reconfigured all the popups. Basically I recreated it from scratch, luckily the service holds the symbology so it wasn't extremely difficult. After I shared the new one out, I deleted the old map to keep things clean, which probably isn't helpful for the purpose of this thread. It was opening the old map viewer but the view was blank with no basemap or data, in fact, the layer list wouldn't bring anything in. Just a blank map viewer. 

Ok great you were able to get back up and running with minimal effort. To be clear, definitely not expected. We haven't seen that behavior in our testing or reported otherwise. If you see the issue again, post the web map and we can take a look. We'll continue to investigate from our side. 

Cheers,

Chris

Will do. When I saved, a warning appeared that explained something about all the functionality not yet being available in the beta version. I believe it happened after I chose the option to save anyways. My initial conclusion was that once I saved it in the Beta version it was no longer backwards compatible but from other reading and what you say, it sounds like that wasn't the intention. I'll keep you updated if I see anything else. 

Thanks

Is this a static table, or is it updated as additional support becomes available?

This is updated as functionality comes available. The last update of this matrix was on December 18th, when clustering capabilities and arcade authoring capabilities for pop-ups were added. If you have any questions about capabilities that aren't included in this table, let us know as we can update this as needed.

-Kelly

Thank you Kelly!

I am lookin for the related table functionality and heat mapping.

Thanks Dawn, 

Where are you looking to see related records? in pop ups or in a table?

Hi Kelly,

Same as Dawn, I (we, our department) would like to see related table, specifically related attachments functionality, in the Beta Map Viewer pop-ups.

Thanks Jared.

Is this for data collected with a specific app like survey123 or quick capture or are you using another workflow to collect this data?

Kelly,

Right now we're working with related tables that have attachments enabled in a hosted feature layer in our Enterprise Portal. The layer is in a webmap. But, eventually we plan to use Workforce for this project.

Kelly Gerrow's BlogKelly Gerrow can you provide an update to this table "Compatibility Guide for web maps created with Map Viewer (classic) and Map Viewer Beta" (last updated 18 Dec 2019)? It would be nice to know if there have been any new additions and/or what the near-term roadmap looks like for this effort.

Can you tell us when the next major release/update is going to be? I think this new viewer has great potential but its development roadmap feels a bit sluggish which could affect adoption by the community initially. I see a lot of promise in this version of the viewer and while it has taken a lit bit of getting used to the interface, I find it to be very helpful and full of wonderful features and capabilities available now and forthcoming.

Thanks in advance,

Chris 

Hi Chris,

I was a little late updating the Map Viewer Beta Roadmap and compatibility guide, but these both now reflect the functionality added in the latest update, which was on February 7th. Here is a link to the blog which describes the new features added and a link to a blog about labeling.

https://community.esri.com/community/arcgis-online-map-viewer-beta/blog/2020/02/08/check-out-label-a...

More updates are planned throughout the spring of 2020.

-Kelly

What is the status of using joined layers for the Beta Viewer?

Some interesting features, but no OGC layers ? - those are a must -

Right now, not being able to add a layer from URL is keeping me mostly using the Classic Map Viewer.  If I want to use the new beta, I have to go out and make available by adding the content into our AGOL content folder.  That's extra work!  But, sometimes there is no other way.

IMHO The layer types should be the same as the Classic Map Viewer, and then some vs. limiting in the next gen Map Viewer. 

As the Map Viewer beta is interesting so far - it still has a long way to go to have the full capabilities + improvements over the old Classic Map Viewer.

Keep the improvements up and you will get there - as often I have commented about other development in other products - don't take stuff away - make the MVP "as good as", then add stuff.  The MVP UX should deliver full functionality for users so that they adopt it after "it's time to move" is announced - happily and willingly - Adding more functionality than they already have makes them want it more, each time you improve it. 

When dealing with change management, make the change look like paradise and if you build it that way, they will come... and won't look back.

Trust me, I've been using Esri products since the early '90's. The organizations where I used Esri's products over years were multi-national corporations where people were really picky about their software experiences. I don't have enough fingers to show how many upgrade projects I managed - I always drew the short straw!  I know very well which Esri products came in and people loved, and I know which ones we would have preferred never having seen or touched!  I also know that at times, we had to pry the old products out of their hands, with kicking and screaming... But, that's how change is - you want the majority to be pulling for it.

This could be a nice interface with lots of functionality - but, please, don't leave functionality or capability behind with the Classic Map Viewer - make it so people want to move forward and never go back.

Keep up the great work!

Would be very helpful to know (in the table) if the Items that are Not Supported, or have partial support are on the roadmap for the PRD release of this.  Perhaps an asterix or something or adjust to be "Not Supported AND Not Planned", vs "Not Supported but Planned".

Thx!

Hello,

Do you know when (or if) you will offer support for mobile devices? We would like to use the Beta web map functionality within maps embedded in web pages using iframe. Will this be possible so it can be viewed on a mobile? Or can you offer a new idea we haven't thought of?

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎11-18-2019 05:18 PM
Updated by:

Contributors