Map Viewer Beta Update April 2020

04-16-2020 05:41 PM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
3 15 3,106

You may have noticed that Map Viewer Beta was updated earlier this week. Here is a quick overview of the new and improved functionality that you can now access.

Support for Authoring Maps in all Coordinate Systems  

Map Viewer Beta now supports the ability to author maps using basemaps in different coordinate systems. With the initial releases of Map Viewer Beta, the web map coordinate system was determined by the default basemap, which is typically Web Mercator. With the most recent update, you can now search for layers in all coordinate systems and add tile layers as a basemap, which updates the coordinate system of the web map. Read this article written by John Nelson about this new capability and some great examples of non-Web Mercator coordinate systems.

Ability to auto-size symbology based on scale

Map Viewer Beta now has the capability to adjust the point sizes and line widths of your features based on the scale of the map. With interactive mapping, designing a map that looks great at both large and small scales can be challenging as more detail and larger sizes are needed as you zoom in. Now, you can select the option to adjust the size automatically when authoring your map. Check out this article written by Kristian Ekenes for examples and details about configuring this new setting.

Now one size doesn't need to fit all scales.

Small Scale size 3.7                                                     Large Scale size 3.7

Improvements made to labels

Some improvements have been made to the labelling capabilities in Map Viewer Beta. A new font called BellTopo is now available in beta. Check out more details about this font designed by Sarah Bell in this article. Label classes were introduced to ArcGIS Online in February 2020. To ease the management of multiple label classes, it is now possible to name the label classes so you can easily identify the class you want to modify. Line feature labelling has also improved to better follow the geometry of lines.

More Smart Mapping Styles

New smart mapping styles are available now to visualize time in your maps. Time styles reveal patterns of new and old, and showcase the age of things on the map based on date and time data. Check out this article by Lisa Berry about the time styles and how to apply them to your data in Map Viewer Beta. Explore the different styles and options for your time data and display your changes immediately in Map Viewer Beta.

We plan to make a lot more functionality available over the spring of 2020, so keep checking in to learn about the updates and let us know your feedback as you explore the latest enhancements and new features.

15 Comments
NathanMcCall
Esri Contributor

To access Map Viewer Beta, go to the app launcher (the nine dots in a square next to notification icon in the upper-right of your ArcGIS Online Org page)  and select Map Viewer Beta. 

JesseWickizer
Occasional Contributor

I have some feedback on map viewer beta and I hope this is the correct forum.

The symbol to indicate layer visibility is confusing and not intuitive, all stemming from the slash across the eye symbol. I would recommend just a simple dark eye symbol without a slash for on and a light eye for off. Alternatively, a dark eye without slash for on and light eye with slash for off could work, but the slash across the eye symbol in both states is confusing.

KevinMacLeod4
Frequent Contributor

I agree. I would say, go back to the Checkbox. The reason users used to be confused about the layer list was not the symbol of checkbox, it was because a sublayer can not turn on automatically, if the parent is off. The default should be if you turn a sublayer on, it turns on the parent. Users of varying levels I train expect this behavior. They are confused as well why if some sublayers in a group are on, but not all; that it shows a checkbox. It needs a partial checkbox mark for the parent Group, like ArcEarth's layer list (the only product that has a tri-state checkbox correctly. Tri-state is a universal computer UI.)

If they keep the eye, at least add color and more texture. Users seem to have more difficulty with the 'flat' monochrome Windows 8-style design. 

KevinMacLeod4
Frequent Contributor

The new features are awesome! Yay for advanced labeling!  Thank you for the illustrative post Kelly.

LIZHIZHU
New Contributor

I got an issue that all layers on my webmap can't be added in mapviewer classic

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kevin MacLeod‌, Jesse Wickizer‌,

Thanks for the feedback, it helps tremendously. Layer visibility (i.e, the the eye) is a work in progress still. We've been making adjustments as part of the updates for Map Viewer Beta..still more coming. Keep the feedback coming!

Cheers,

Chris

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @lzzhuwh, would it be possible to share the map where you're seeing this behavior? 

Thanks,

Chris

LIZHIZHU
New Contributor

I figured out one of extension installed on Chrome blocked Esri websites. After I disable it, it works fine now. Thanks for reply.

KevinMacLeod4
Frequent Contributor

LIZHI ZHU‌ was it AdBlock? That has given me issues before...   

LIZHIZHU
New Contributor

It's privacy badger which blocks resources.esri.com.

JasonSmith4
New Contributor II

Kelly Gerrow‌ and Kristian Ekenes‌, auto-scaled symbology based on scale has truly been a GAME CHANGER for me and my mapping capabilities.  Kelly Gerrow‌ as you recall from our previous conversations, this was causing us to have to create multiple layers for AirNow in the old Map Viewer, which was a real pain.  I also am sooo glad to see multiple label classes!!  Yay!!!    Now we can set the text color based on AQI value.

My only 2 beefs still with the new Map Viewer beta is 1) the lack of respecting symbology levels within a count and amounts based on color, or unique values layer (i.e., the ability to make sure higher concentration symbols appear above lower concentration symbols, as this is important when showing air quality around fire areas), and 2) the "eye" symbol for turning off and on layers.  I would much prefer that you all consider going back to a checkmark, if possible.  I've had several users try out the new map viewer, and that has constantly been a question is....how do I turn a layer on and off?

Anyways, GREAT WORK.  I'm super excited to see where you guys are going with the next release, including group layers and other goodies!

Jason Smith - EPA

KevinMacLeod4
Frequent Contributor

I agree, great work everyone!  One point:  I concur with Jason, my first first thought when I tried it out, is the Eye symbol is not discoverable. Check boxes work fine as an established UI; the only thing would be to add on turning parent groups on automatically, if a sublayer is turned on. At least as a default behavior, perhaps with developer options to turn it back to the way it is now (where users need to know to turn on parent checkboxes; which I can tell you most do not, and have to be shown how).  And a tri-state / partial checkbox dot, which communicates to users 'not all the sublayers in a group are on'.  After training hundreds of users at all skill levels, these two layer list issues always come up.

JoramSchito
New Contributor

I checked the new Beta version and there are (still) some annoying issues:

• The "Add Layer" function got worse, as I cannot upload any files directly from my computer. Instead, I have to upload them first to "My Content".
  • Unfortunately, a function that allows uploading multiple files at once is still missing. This lack makes AGOL extremely inefficient.
  • After I uploaded a TIFF file to "My Content", I was not able to add it as a new layer in my AGOL map. I don't get why it is not possible to display raster files, even if they are useful.
  • I neither understand why it is not possible to display all vector layers on each zoom level. Some layers grey out after reaching a certain zoom level. It still remains a mystery why AGOL does that.

Thus, I really would encourage the AGOL developers to fix these issues with the next release. Thanks in advance for your effort.

JoramSchito
New Contributor

Regarding the fourth point, I accidentally found out how to handle it: drawing style > options > visible range. Nice and useful functionality, but it would be even more helpful if while hovering the visually disabled layer a message would appear in a tooltip that points the user to the layer settings.

Furthermore, I found another issue (however, not in the Beta but in the regular version):

• After loading a layer from a presumably erroneous file and clicking on "Cancel", the layer nevertheless appears in my map content. From this point on, it is not possible to delete the layer from my map content nor is it possible to save the map any longer. 

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Joram Schito‌, thanks for the feedback. We'll look into the issue with upload issue in the current Map Viewer. Would it be possible to share the file? I haven't been to reproduce the behavior with the couple I tried.

For the enhancements..comments inserted below. 

The "Add Layer" function got worse, as I cannot upload any files directly from my computer. Instead, I have to upload them first to "My Content".

> This is planned for later this year.

Unfortunately, a function that allows uploading multiple files at once is still missing. This lack makes AGOL extremely inefficient.

> Not currently planned. ArcGIS Ideas has several ideas that can be upvoted.

After I uploaded a TIFF file to "My Content", I was not able to add it as a new layer in my AGOL map. I don't get why it is not possible to display raster files, even if they are useful.

> Support for imagery layers is planned for later this year. 

I neither understand why it is not possible to display all vector layers on each zoom level. Some layers grey out after reaching a certain zoom level. It still remains a mystery why AGOL does that.

> This is an active area for improving the user experience.

Hope the info helps..cheers

Chris