How do I get meridians, paralells and grids to appear at perfect right angles in UTM?

02-10-2018 11:41 AM
BradleySmith2
New Contributor III

I am trying to produce some trail maps in UTM Zone 11 North, which is standard for my region. When I look at examples of other trail maps produced in this projection, the meridians, parallels and UTM grids are all perfectly parallel or perpendicular to the data frame. That is not the case when I use this projection. The parallels, meridians, and UTM grids almost always appear at a slight angle to the data frame (See example-look at the meridian on the far right side of the map), particularly when producing maps near the edge of the zone. What can I do to make them perfectly parallel or perpendicular?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

set the projection of the dataframe to geographic (ie a GCS WGS84 or GCS NAD83 for example) then the meridians and parallels will be at planar right angles rather than spherical right angles.

MelitaKennedy
Esri Notable Contributor

Bradley,

Note that the UTM grid lines will then be tilted slightly. Check out the images here (US Naval Academy site) to see what the latitude and longitude lines are doing when data is displayed in a UTM zone.

Melita

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

A perfect example of not being able to have things both ways  

unless you use 'tics' then no one will notice