Can feature-linked annotation generate new labels automatically when new records appear in the parent feature class?

08-18-2020 05:15 PM
DavidWard1
New Contributor

I am using a SQL Server SDE database to periodically refresh a feature class that is the parent for feature-linked annotation created in ArcMap 10.7.1.  Existing labels can be refreshed by editing a field in the parent feature class used by the label expression (do a field calculation on a column that sets it equal to itself to refresh all labels at once). 

The problem is that the presence new records (locations) in the parent  do not trigger generation of new annotation, apparently because the new records have been added outside of the ArcGIS geodatabase structure.  (In contrast, creating or pasting locations in ArcMap does trigger annotation creation.)  Editing a field used by the label expression has no effect.  Copying and pasting the new records triggers label generation for the pasted copies, but the new copies have object IDs assigned by ArcMap and thus will differ from the object IDs assigned to those locations in future refreshes, which will break the relationship with the newly generated annotation. 

Is there another way to trigger the generation process, perhaps pythonically via an arcpy function?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanaNolan
Occasional Contributor III

I've never seen new records create annotation automatically (10.6, SQL Server). Deleting and changing fields does automatically affect annotation. Select the new records and right click on the layer/Select. There is an option Annotate Selected Features.

You may have to be in edit for this to work. I don't use feature-linked annotation much anymore because of issues and my workflows.

0 Kudos