Problem with the Capital Projects Solution Deployment tool

01-16-2018 01:21 PM
MichaelKohler
Occasional Contributor II

I have been trying to deploy a solution from the ArcGIS Pro Solutions Deployment tool. I was and am still getting errors as I work with ESRI to try and fix the problem. As usual, I don't have time to wait and started following the steps laid out in the Manual Section of the link Publish feature layer - Capital Project Locator | ArcGIS for Local Government .

I am frustrated because I have walked through the setup of the Capital Project Plans and manually created the maps, layers and apps. Next, I want to use the Capital Project Locator and walked through all the setup steps laid out in the link above. However, when I view the completed web app I am not seeing what ESRI shows in their demo.

I walked through the steps of the Capital Project Plans and have a working version of this app: http://statelocaltryit.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapAndAppGallery/index.html?appid=3639e59d32874bb6ae4bea... 

I'm trying to get my Capital Project Locator app to look like this: ArcGIS Web Application 

But the information shown in my app is nowhere near what the above app shows. In one of the steps on the Manual Set Up it says 

• Configure the pop-up for each layer using a custom attribute display option.

But it doesn't say what that custom display should be. 

Has anyone successfully deployed or walked through this maze?

My apps are here: ArcGIS Web Application 

and here: https://pslgis.maps.arcgis.com/apps/MapAndAppGallery/index.html?appid=910c1c9cf7bc440c951ffd13f38f2b... 

0 Kudos
46 Replies
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Cassidy, That behavior you are seeing was a bug in the solution deployment tool that we have since fixed. I am not sure how far down the configuration you have gone, but if you download the most recent version of the solution deployment tool and re-deploy the solution when you modify a domain on the source feature layer it will automatically show up in all the views.Otherwise, unfortunately you will need to update the domain on each view, there isn't a way through the UI to do a mass updated.

0 Kudos
ChadBunn1
New Contributor III

Chris Fox‌ What is the best way to alter the domain values for 'Project Status' and 'Project Phase' so that the apps still behave as designed?  I know how to change the domain values in ArcGIS Pro but if I alter the values that trigger the features to appear in the Review and Reports apps that functionality will no longer work.  How can I change what values trigger a project to get advanced in the Review and Reports apps?

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chad,

The visibility is controlled by the a filter set on the feature layer view definition. The different layer views that are consumed in the maps and apps have different filters configured based on project status, phase and asset type. If you modify the domains you will need to update these filters. Below is the help topic that describes how you can make this update. You will want to follow the steps to "Define Features" on the layer.

Set hosted feature layer view definition—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

0 Kudos
ChadBunn1
New Contributor III

Thanks Chris Fox‌.  Can you tell me the best way to create the Story Map to go along with the CIP solution?  Is it possible to link it with the included Infrastructure dataset so that as new projects are added they also get a slide on the Story Map?

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chad, unfortunately I am not aware of any story map template that will dynamically add new slides for each feature in a dataset. You might want to check out the Attachment Viewer or Geo List configurable web app templates as a well to create a web app that will dynamically respond to new features added to the feature service.

ChadBunn1
New Contributor III

I found this example from ESRI that makes it seem like the CIP Deployment Solution is linked somehow to a corresponding Story Map, but is it just a manual update process where you need to add a new slide for every new project instead of it happening automatically?  It's fine if the slides are not created automatically, I just wanted too be sure I was doing it correctly as we really like this example for a public facing CIP map.

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Chad, Yes, we do provide the Story Map as a starting point with the solution but you will have to manually add a new slide for each project.

ChadBunn1
New Contributor III

Oh ok thank you.  A note about having to do it manually on the deployment solutions page would be helpful in the future.  I went ahead and did it manually but I had held off for awhile thinking there must be some way to link the story map with the deployment solution.  Thank you for the response!

0 Kudos
FrancescaColich
New Contributor

Good afternoon, @ChrisFox . I thought that this would be the best thread to ask a question about the Capital Project Tracking and Planning solutions. I had a few questions that I was hoping you could answer:

• Since the creation of this thread, has any documentation or materials on how the solutions work and interact with each other been made available? A walkthrough would be preferred. 
  • Is there a particular order that the solutions need to be deployed? (For example: The Planning solution needs to be deployed before the Tracking solution.)
  • How can we add new project types? For example, if we want to add a new Reclaimed Water Project option, how would we go about that? It's difficult not knowing how things all interact with each other and I was hoping for some materials to guide us through this process.
  • Right now the project status options are PreDesign, Design, Construction, etc. How do we add to/remove from that list of options?

We're a smaller municipality trying to figure all of this out so for the first time so any help is appreciated. I appreciate your guidance and look forward to hearing back from you.

0 Kudos
ChrisFox
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @FrancescaColich, we document the Capital Project Planning and Tracking solutions and specifically a walkthrough of how to use them here:

https://docdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/reference/use-capital-project-planning.htm

https://docdev.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-solutions/latest/reference/use-capital-project-tracking.htm

The order they are deployed doesn't matter, they will share the same underlying services and work together if you deploy both.

We don't document had to add new project types, it is pretty complex and involves a lot of changes in many of the items. My recommendation would be to see if you could use an existing project type such as Water.

The project status options are driven by a list configured on the field in the layer. You can edit this list using the steps described in the topic below:

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/define-attribute-lists-and-ranges.htm

0 Kudos