Election Results Solution - Results for entire jurisdiction?

Jump to solution
04-26-2017 05:08 PM
SebastianRoberts
Occasional Contributor III

I was looking at the latest Election Results Web App Builder configuration offered by the Esri Local Government Team.  Looks nice, but it seems that a critical piece is missing.  It seems that you can't get the county-wide results(or state-wide depending on your jurisdiction).  People using this app like to see how districts voted, but they also need to be able to see the results for our whole county.  I was hoping to update our existing results map, but need to have the ability to display the 'countywide results'.  Has anyone modified the template to accomodate this?  Better yet, did I just overlook something, and you can indeed see results for the whole jurisdiction?

thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AllisonMuise1

Yes, you are right. What I described above would involve multiple layers for the same contest. Your workaround looks pretty slick! Feel free to share your URL once it's up and running

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AllisonMuise1

Sebastian Roberts‌ You can aggregate the data to any jurisdictions. For example, here is a state-level configuration of hte Election Reuslts app. Everything is set up the same, bu the results are aggregated at the county level.

Election Results | ArcGIS for State Government 

0 Kudos
SebastianRoberts

Allison,

Thanks for your response.  What I was hoping for is not two different configurations of the application, but rather to be able to see the totals for a contest.  For the Maryland example that you link to above, I can see results for individual counties, but I'm still overlooking how I would see the totals for the entire state of Maryland.  Surely you don't have to add up Romney's and Obama's votes for each county to determine their totals for the state. For a close contest, I wouldn't know who actually won in the state without adding them up, or leaving the application and looking to a different source.  I must be overlooking something.

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Yes, you can do this. What I was trying to show with the state configuration is that the app will display any layers that have been configured from your map, regardless of the level at which you have aggregated your data.

If you aggregate your data to the state level, add that data to the map, and configure the app to display that information, it will work. You can have a layer that shows the results at the precinct level, a layer that shows results at the county level, and a layer that displays results at the state level all in the same map, and all configured to display in the app.

0 Kudos
SebastianRoberts

I guess I'd have to see an example.  From what you describe, it sounds like you would have every contest repeated 3 times in the related table widget (once for precinct, once for county, and once for state).  Or perhaps you would have 3 widgets, one for each set of results.  What I was looking to do was something like the screen shot below, where you can click a button to toggle between precinct and county-wide (or county and state-wide).  That is what I ended up implementing.  I hope I didn't overlook something out-of-the-box, and do that customization for naught!

results for one precinctSame contest, but showing countywide results

0 Kudos
AllisonMuise1

Yes, you are right. What I described above would involve multiple layers for the same contest. Your workaround looks pretty slick! Feel free to share your URL once it's up and running

0 Kudos
SebastianRoberts

Hi Allison,

Here is our historical results map gallery.  The gallery is a configuration modeled after your team's solution.  Thanks for that.  The election results app is hosted on our server locally because I made the modifications mentioned above.  The map gallery just points to the same application for each election, but each time with a different config file in the query string.