Campus Place Locator on Portal

06-02-2017 06:11 AM
HlynurIngólfsson
New Contributor III

Hello.

Something seems to be off with my attempts to start using the Campus Place Locator, even when I go through the official guidelines from A to Z.

So I was wondering if anyone else has had these growing pains. I am using a Portal setup and I have tried both hosting the tiled layers and featureservices on Portal and also to post them to server and take them from there to Portal, with them being all very visible and nice in a map on Portal itself (the 'create map' stage being completed). 

But when I go to configuring and posting then something is very off the code reveals nothing but the pan in/out buttons.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

-With regards, Hlynur.

0 Kudos
17 Replies
JohnRitsko1
New Contributor III

3 months and no reply to my question.  ESRI a little help here.  Started a new discussion as well.

0 Kudos
AlisonKuemmel1
New Contributor

Hi John!

I'm still learning the ropes here myself, and am commenting to follow any action that may occur on this thread. I published my campus locator after filling in the config.js details, and changed the zoom to lat/long to meet our desired location. When I publish it, I see the banner for the app across the top, but there are no zoom/pan tools, or any map layers shown! Currently using ArcGIS Online hosted feature services for the building layers, but going to try next with ArcServer hosted REST feature services and see if they appear. I'll circle back if I get anywhere. Best of luck to you!

0 Kudos
JohnRitsko1
New Contributor III

Mine did the same thing with limiting the zoom in and out and all the other tools unless I turned on Developer tools.  Then they would work for one instance but as soon as I refreshed the page they would go away again.  We publish everything from our own Server as I don't want to rely on AGOL but it won't allow my labeling from my own services for some reason, which is simple you would think but doesn't work.  I'm about ready to deploy ours once we resolve some of these final issues.  Yes, the zoom in/out and tools not working is frustrating to say the least.

0 Kudos
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

John, can you share your config.js file? 

I'll take a look and see if anything stands out. 

Also, what version of ArcGIS Server are you using? Are you strictly configuring using the config.js file ?

-Lindsay

0 Kudos
JohnRitsko1
New Contributor III

ArcGIS for Server 10.6

Do you have an e-mail I can e-mail you my config file please.  
Thank you,
John Ritsko

0 Kudos
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

Hi John, 

When you are logged into GeoNet and click on my profile\username you should see it. 

-Lindsay

0 Kudos
JohnRitsko1
New Contributor III

Sorry, no e-mail address shows up.

0 Kudos
LindsayThomas
Esri Contributor

lindsay_thomas@esri.com

Below is a summary to the resolution that John figured out and shared with me via email:

I decided to run the Campus Locator using the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.25.  This inadvertently caused the application to not support the ‘label’ tag of the config.js for the popupFields.  I resorted the application back to 3.20 which supports the ‘label’ tag as well as the labeling from AGOL.

John, please jump in if I missed anything

-Lindsay

Also, just a bit of information about configurable JavaScript applications created by the ArcGIS Solutions team, the application was created and certified on ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.14. However, when updating the API to a higher version there could issues related to the upgrade that may require addition coding\fixes. If there is a business need to increment the API version of the application then this may make sense, however, if the update is just related to using a newer version of the API, if may not be worth the additional level of effort to fix issues related to the using the higher API version. 

0 Kudos