What resources are available for bigger analytical projects to practice with and/or add to my portfolio?

04-27-2020 07:21 AM
LeighEddy-O_Neill
New Contributor

I would like to display a wider range of expertise than what my career focus has been but I am on a limited budget so I would like to create some web maps, time maps, web apps, etc that I can easily host on my ArcGIS profile or push to Github.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Leigh,

Check out some of the lessons on Learn ArcGIS. Here is a filtered view that might have some things that are relevant to you: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/gallery/#?t=lesson&c=spatialanalysis

These are all step-by-step tutorials but going through them should give you some ideas of projects you can take on, and will also introduce you to datasets that you can adapt to a similar workflow to build up your portfolio.

Without knowing what kind of analytical projects you have in mind, I'll recommend a few here: 

Investigate Pollution Patterns with Space-Time Analysis

Estimate Solar Power Potential

Determine How Location Impacts Interest Rates

Analyze Urban Heat Using Kriging

Explore NOAA's Deep-Sea Coral Database

If you're not familiar with Living Atlas, you should check it out, because you can find lots of really useful data there. The lesson Get Started with ArcGIS Living Atlas of the World is an introduction to the different resources available with Living Atlas and the different ways they can be accessed and put to use.

LeighEddy-O_Neill
New Contributor

Thank you Heather! I do love the Learn ArcGIS lesson gallery. I have also found that gathering my own data from previous projects and other various data sources and following along some of the lessons in the Lesson Gallery gives me a better perspective of the tools I am using and how they apply. 

0 Kudos