Tutorial data not showing up in connected folder

Jump to solution
04-28-2020 10:35 AM
BenHoward
New Contributor

Hello I am a very new user to ArcGIS and was hoping to get some help trouble shooting some troubles I am having. I figured I would also allow this to be my trouble shooting document so feel free to join along for the ride if you want some periodic updates. 

I am running ArcGis 10.7.1 and currently trying to add the data from tutorial downloads for learning how to add new features to the layers. Specifically this tutorial.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish as the prerequisite for starting the lesson:

1. download a data file from the internet
  2. add folder as a connected folder
  3. add Exercise1.mxd to the layer (not sure what this is...)
  4. The other 50 steps of the tutorial...

I have been able to (pictures of these steps below):

1. download the folder through the online link
  2. Attach folder connection into the catalog
  3. None of the sub-folders that I am seeing in the examples are showing up in the catalog view OR when using the add data toolbar
  4. Attempt to drag over data.cab (not sure what this is...)
  5. receive an error message

The tutorial folder in the catalog toolbar

Error when I drag the Data1.cab info over

Error after hitting OK:

That's it for now. Tune in next time as I figure out what .mxd and .cab files are! If we are lucky and have time I may even look into those error messages

#.mxd#.cab#tutorial#gis for beginners#creating polygons#editable features#newbie#Exercise1

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sending those images, that makes it clearer.

It looks like we are talking about different arcgis folders. You want to find the arcgis folder at the root of C, not in the documents folder. You can paste "C:\arcgis" into the navigation bar to get there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

This post has a screenshot showing where you can download the ArcGIS Tutorial Data for Desktop, which contains the missing files you need for that tutorial: https://community.esri.com/message/764178-re-where-is-cprojectprojectmxd?commentID=764178#comment-76... 

However, since you say you are a new user to ArcGIS, I would recommend learning on ArcGIS Pro instead. See the discussion here for some reasons why: https://community.esri.com/message/924577-re-better-to-use-arcmap-or-arcgis-pro-when-teaching-an-int...

You can find the equivalent tutorial for ArcGIS Pro here: Create points on a map—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation 
The data for the ArcGIS Pro tutorial is here: https://learngis.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=ad96530c93794597a45d5bfd0bea823d 

although the instructions also include steps on how to access it from within ArcGIS Pro.

Good luck!
Heather

0 Kudos
BenHoward
New Contributor

Thanks for the information Heather. 

I am taking a course through Coursera on the software and license that came with the course is for just ArcGIS not the Pro version, so hopefully the skills are transferable!

Regarding the data download I am not seeing that section in the MyESRI page. I downloaded the tutorial folder after activating the student key and was taken to a separate landing site. 

Link from the student site page:

This is the folder link that I downloaded:

Is this data supposed to be the file download for the tutorials? I believe this is what I am having trouble linking up or accessing fully 

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Yes, it looks like you have the correct data: the 1.65 GB "ArcGIS Tutorial Data for Desktop"

This file is actually an executable (ArcGIS_Desktop_Tutorial_Data_1041_151862.exe). So if you have not already, you'll need to double-click to install that before you have access to the data. I also ran the Setup.exe in Documents\ArcGIS 10.4.1\Tutorial. I'm not sure if that is necessary.

Once you've installed the data, you can find what you need for your lesson in C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Editing

I would still recommend learning on ArcGIS Pro instead of ArcMap. You are welcome to do either of course, but I think if you are ultimately hoping to work in this field, ArcGIS Pro will be the more relevant skill.

You can access lots of free learning materials at https://learn.arcgis.com/en/gallery/

In particular, I would get started with this learn path: https://learn.arcgis.com/en/paths/try-arcgis-pro/

Learn ArcGIS offers free trial accounts. Right now, we've extended this trial until the end of August, to assist students during COVID-19. This trial will give you access to ArcGIS Pro. https://learn.arcgis.com/en/become-a-member/

Thanks,

Heather

BenHoward
New Contributor

Hello again Heather, I really appreciate the guidance, however I seem to still be getting stuck. 

I had double clicked the .exe file from the download bar and went through the prompts through launching the set-up program and requesting that the files be saved to my hard drive. Here are some screenshots from running it again. 

I have selected it so both applications and extensions and their sub-features will be installed.

After that runs I wait through this screen then hit finish:

Nothing new shows up in the file folder for ArcGIS or ArcGIS10.7.1 (the second is the mapped folder location where the data should have been extracted to, I believe)

The catalog window does not show any new information either. 

I do not know if I am way off, but I thought I had been following the instructions fairly closely...

Thanks again for the help. 

Ben

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Please double-click and run the Setup.exe shown in your last screenshot. You should then have data in C:\arcgis\ArcTutor\Editing

0 Kudos
BenHoward
New Contributor

Hi Heather, Sorry if I did not make myself clear.

That is the file I ran to get through to the first screenshot with the window saying I had selected to install both folders and all sub-folders. That is what shows up in the folders after I go through .exe .

It is peculiar as well because it says it will take 0KB to store the 9 sub folders. I have started from square one (downloading the data from the ESRI site) a few times and this seems to be what is occurring. 

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for clarifying. Can you confirm that there is nothing at C:\arcgis\ArcTutor ? I tried again and saw the same message about 0KB, but I still see all the data appearing at this location after running Setup.exe

0 Kudos
BenHoward
New Contributor

I am not even seeing ArcTutor in my C:\arcgis folder.

Documents folder:

ArcGIS Folder:

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for sending those images, that makes it clearer.

It looks like we are talking about different arcgis folders. You want to find the arcgis folder at the root of C, not in the documents folder. You can paste "C:\arcgis" into the navigation bar to get there.

0 Kudos