Survey123 app on IPAD sent back to ArcGIS Survey 123 desktop does not update Question ?

Jump to solution
03-18-2021 08:10 AM
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

I have a question that I am not unclear understanding.... For this exercise , I am using here  : https://learn.arcgis.com/en/projects/collect-hurricane-damage-assessments/

I follow exactly what this at step : " Test the Initial Damage Assessment survey" on my IPAD and I sent 1 back  and then I went back to the ArcGIS Survey123 desktop .

How will I know when it is updated ? I did refresh the circle BUT I do not see anything at all ?

I re-read it again and thought to myself what does this tells you :

"The survey questions are broken into several groups based on theme. The first group contains questions about the property and damage. The second group asks for information about the inspector collecting the data, and the third is about the property owner."

In the previous survey, you added a hidden question that always had the same value. In this survey, different answers to the Assessment Type question need to be possible, since different methods can be used to conduct the survey." 

I do not see any broken here ?  Look at the screen 

PROBERT68_0-1616079885733.png

If it is broken, will anything show up as it should be ?

I have updated ArcGIS Survey123 apps on my desktop and the IPAD as ell..

Also, On my ArcGISSurvey123 desktop , when  I update the form  the map does not show it is in Houston, TXi as it should be ,Correct ?

Help !

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for your help . ! I re-do all over and re-read again.  I know what my problem. if you go back to 

Update and share the preliminary damage assessment survey. 

It said to click on Damage Assessment : Residential Buildings care.  I hit the wrong one and instead I hit on initial Damage Assessment card. 

Now I figure it out the problem and it worked nicely !

View solution in original post

10 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@PROBERT68 I don't think your survey is broken. You won't see the point you collected in the survey form. That is where the questions are stored, rather than the collected data. You should see the collected point in the Test the Preliminary Damage Assessment survey section, in step 6.

The survey point you collected should be in Houston, but if it is not, you can continue with the lesson without problem. When collecting data in a location that is not where you are, you have to search, move the pin, and check the checkmark button. 

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Ok, I did play around after I post my question and see none BUT I did went into ArcGIS Survey123 online and I can see I did created 3 points from my IPAD and wonder why it is different between the two ? I mean the ArcGIS Survey 123 online vs ArcGIS Survey 123 on desktop ?  If you have a link to provide me, please do so.

Thank you

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Could you please send me a copy of the final Excel , so I can see what went wrong on my side , Thanks ?

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@PROBERT68 I ran through the lesson and placed the two excel tables here: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d1624be87cf845b3a9fa1cfa4060b09

You can also see the final feature class that was created here: https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=050bbd1dff0843f6af25b84284d5342d#overview

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you !  Now I know why my side wasn't working... The excel you gave me is different from what I was reading the steps. It said to delete some of the rows...is what causing the problem..

What I mean is that just to delete one row or change the row that sort of thing.

The Excel you gave me shows that the Survey tab showed all of the fields and rows  interacted and just change a bit .

BTW, the first link you gave me showed me :

PROBERT68_0-1616181834890.png

Thank you for your time and patient with me...

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

If you go back to the title "Modify the new survey"

Go to number 2.  it said 

PROBERT68_1-1616182058920.png

See it said Delete all rows.  So I did and that is what is the problem. it didn't work nothing change...

I will have to go back and do all over again and see if it works this time without delete all . 

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

Sorry, the link didn't work because there is a character missing from the hyperlink. it should be https://www.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=d1624be87cf845b3a9fa1cfa4060b098

there are two excel files. I didn't realize that one was attached to my message, so I made that link. Here is the other one.

You do need to delete the fields as explained in the steps. There are two forms. You delete fields in one of them, not both. You may need to back and try the steps again to see if you missed something. I was able to complete the lesson following the steps.

0 Kudos
PROBERT68
Frequent Contributor

Thank you for give me that second excel and I can see what you mean...

Another question is what does that mean ?

See red circle I drew it

PROBERT68_0-1616183154661.png

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

I think the long string of strange characters at the end were appended in my table because I had another survey with the same name already on my computer (from running this lesson in the past). I believe the survey is using this to make sure it references the correct file. I expect your table will only say "Residential Buildings_assessmenttype"

0 Kudos