"Fit to Screen" won't work when georeferencing!

10-23-2020 07:32 AM
MaxEpstein
New Contributor

Hi all,

I am looking to georeference a scanned in paper map. I created the .tif file, set a transparent background, and loaded up in ArcGIS Pro.

I'm using this video as a guide (yes, I'm a newbie):

Georeferencing an Image in ArcGIS Pro - YouTube  

The image gets loaded up, just like in the video, tiny and floating in space. However, when I select "georeference," the "Fit to Screen" option is greyed out. Help! I can't get the thing near the actual area.

Any thoughts?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Do you have appropriate data already displayed on your map?  By appropriate, I mean the GIS feature or features you intend to rectify your tiff image to.

That should just about do it....
MaxEpstein
New Contributor

I believe so. Here is the .tif, floating somewhere in the Gulf of Mexico.
to_be_referenced

Then, I zoom to the layer (Leon County Boundary Line), select streets_1.tif, and then hit Georeference. "Fit to Display" is greyed out.
reference

Thanks for the input.

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not sure what's going on, but here are some screen captures on how I do it with a plat map.  In the first screen capture you will see that I have the data I want to (Parcels) as well as my tif  (Plan.tif) in my table of contents.  The map is zoomed in to the area in which I will rectify the tif image.

Next, I choose the Imagery tab and with the plan.tif selected in the table of contents I choose georeference and then fit to display.  It's not a bad match for me:

Now I'm ready to add my control points.

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos