Geodatabase to osm

Jump to solution
06-01-2021 04:07 AM
Ana_Alic
New Contributor

I created geodatabase in ArcGIS pro, which contains a point and line layer (Feature Class). I would like to export my GDB to OSM format of data.

Does anyone know how I can do that? I have seen some solutions for conversion shp2osm but it does not help me, because I want to convert the whole database.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RenatoSalvaleon3
Esri Contributor

In case another user would have this question, just wanted to point out Data Interoperability supports GDB to OSM XML conversions since FME Engine 2011. Pretty straightforward conversion from the FILE GDB API Reader to the OSM XML writer without any transformers in between. My result was read into JOSM without any problems. Reach out to the Data Interoperability Community page if any assistance is needed.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I believe you can't write the data in OSM format using ArcGIS (even with Data Interoperability). 

You could use ogr2osm for the conversion. Please adhere to the guidelines set by OpenStreetMap (included in the above link).

Think Location
0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

I am not sure about converting gdb to OSM, but you can convert your line and point layers to shapefiles as an intermediary step, using the Copy Features tool. Specify a file location for the output and add ".shp" to the end: 

HeatherSmith_0-1622546992222.png

0 Kudos
MartinAnok
New Contributor II

I have the same issue and I tryed to do convertion with ogr2pbf.

I installed ogr2pbf:  https://pypi.org/project/ogr2pbf/ via python (pip install ogr2pbf). But I don't understand how to use it if I want to convert some data (gdb or shp) to osm. 
I am new in python 🙂 i hope someone will have the patience to explain to me.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

@MartinAnok you may have more luck posting on the Python question board: https://community.esri.com/t5/python/ct-p/python 

RenatoSalvaleon3
Esri Contributor

In case another user would have this question, just wanted to point out Data Interoperability supports GDB to OSM XML conversions since FME Engine 2011. Pretty straightforward conversion from the FILE GDB API Reader to the OSM XML writer without any transformers in between. My result was read into JOSM without any problems. Reach out to the Data Interoperability Community page if any assistance is needed.