Select to view content in your preferred language

Transform a grid map into a contour map

Jump to solution
01-24-2016 04:28 PM
GoldenJiang
New Contributor II

I want to transform this grid map below (polygon, 10 m*10 m) into a contour map and make it less spotty. Is it possible to achieve so?

The value field only contains 10, 20, 30, which represent my management classes (calculated from excel spreadsheet).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DarrenWiens2
MVP Honored Contributor

See if this will work for you:

Original:

Point to Raster:

IDW:

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

contour is for contours Contour—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

but raster to polygon with Generalize option may work Raster to Polygon—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

although I doubt you will be wholly pleased with the result given the coarse nature of the raster.

0 Kudos
GoldenJiang
New Contributor II

I have an idea: is it possible to generate points on the grid and then contour these points?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

of course... Point to Raster—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop

have you tried anything yet? You have several options now to test and compare

0 Kudos
GoldenJiang
New Contributor II

Hi Dan, the grid map I have is actually a polygon. I've tried 'polygon to raster' (cell size 1.3) and then 'raster to polygon'. Eventually I got this:

But it won't get rid of the spots...

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Golden

Please try Neil's suggestion and I'm sure that you'll get what you want.

By default we use nearest neighbor resampling when displaying a raster and you can change it to bilinear or cubic to get a smoother look.

-Steve

0 Kudos
GoldenJiang
New Contributor II

Can I remove the small spots on this to make the map tidier? 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Ok... confusion reigns... are you trying to interpolate a new surface given some input points etc or... are you stuck with what you have as an image/raster and you are trying to fix it up by smoothing it out?

0 Kudos
GoldenJiang
New Contributor II

My main purpose is to show more clear and practical treatment areas. I am sure I am getting closed: polygon to raster - create random points - extract values to points - kriging. I think it would get better result to create sampling points that are regularly distributed throughout the area, but I am not sure how......

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It has been suggested several times, that other interpolates will give you the smooth result that you appear to need.  Do you have some comparative results so that any further suggestions might produce your desired result

0 Kudos