Select to view content in your preferred language

Clip tools inconsistently working and not clipping data

01-31-2019 10:05 AM
ElanaBerlin
New Contributor

I am trying to clip a large land use .img layer to a buffer polygon shapefile layer. I need data to be exported with the clip because I will be using it for an analysis. Whenever I use Clip (data management), the resulting layer does not clip any of the raster. When I use Image Analysis, the clip feature only occasionally works, otherwise nothing is clipped, and when it does work none of the data is clipped. 

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a code that I could use that would do the job more appropriately?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Clip Raster—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS Desktop 

and nothing works if the coordinate systems aren't the same.  Don't rely on the screen to make that judgement, look at the file properties and their coordinate systems.  If they aren't the same, then you need to use the Project or Project Raster tool (vector, raster) to get one of them into the coordinate system of the other.  If one doesn't have a coordinate system, then use the Define projection tool to assign it... not what you want it to be.

Also... clipping only occurs when there is an overlap in the extents. 

Note:  Always, check the Environments tab of ANY tool you use from arctoolbox to make sure that you get the extents etc that you want