Error: Parcel won't join because radial lines extend beyond spatial reference

02-25-2020 03:24 PM
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

I am trying to join a parcel in 10.7.1 and I'm not doing anything differently than I usually would. I just joined several parcels next to the one in question. But when I try to join this parcel, I get the "parcel can't be joined because it extends beyond the spatial reference" error. It seems to me that the issue is the highlighted radial lines from the almost 180 deg. curve capping off the cul-de-sac. The radial lines are pointing off yonder into a NE direction, when they should be pointing W, and I ought to be able to join the radial point to the one currently sitting in the middle of the cul-de-sac. The curve in question has a delta of 179*40'56" and a radius of 59*. What's going on here? 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

that's really strange. if it was me, i'd check my original document for any other data available to enter the curve (like the chord bearing/distance) just in case your delta has a typo.

0 Kudos
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

It is! Changing what I use to enter the curve isn't having any effect. I've also deleted the parcel and retyped it - nothing. 

0 Kudos
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

oh man, maybe there's a historical or adjacent parcel causing an error? idk i've had bizarre errors happen when i have a historical/adjacent parcel with mistakes in them from legacy parcels. 

maybe also restart arcmap? i was using 10.7.1 for a while but rolled back because of some of the bugs. thinking about just skipping from 10.6 to 10.8.

0 Kudos
DianeBaker
New Contributor III

I've never had your particular error but it's worth a shot. When I have weird things happening with curves I often have to go into my historicals and delete weird historical parcels unintentionally created or historical parcels that have curve errors.  Most importantly you need to make sure you can see ALL historicals.  Not all historicals show up normally.  Go to your historicals Definition Query and change it to just 

SystemEndDate IS NOT NULL

Once you do that make sure there are no historicals underneath where you are working.  I have found weird historicals and sometimes historicals with serious errors will screw up my curves.  Once I delete them my curves again function properly.  

0 Kudos
AnneBransford1
New Contributor III

Good thought. I've had that help with curve issues in the past, too. Just tried going through and deleting historical parcels but no luck. I still get the same error when I try to join this new parcel. 

0 Kudos