Select to view content in your preferred language

Weird Curve Wont Offset

Jump to solution
03-30-2016 05:55 AM
LarryGaudieri
New Contributor III

I'm trying to create a parallel utility easement along right-of-ways and really hope not to have to segment ever curve from plat. The attached *.jpeg shows a half-circle curve in a type of cul-de-sac or turn-about. I cannot for the life of me offset that arc without ArcMap crashing...does anyone have any tricks or suggestions? Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Larry,

There a 2 possible reasons/solutions for this:

1. curve 40 to 39 has a negative radius, but it should be positive, or vice versa. Solve it by changing the sign of the radius.
  2. you might see this when the central angle is 180 degrees. a 180° circular arc is neither "major" (>180°) nor "minor" (<180°) The way that the parcel editor makes the distinction, when the lines grid is not set up to show central angle, is by making the chord length a negative number for "major" curves (meaning with a central angle > 180°). Solve it by changing the sign of the chord length.

-Tim

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

simplify from an arc  to a polyline or try splitting it

0 Kudos
LarryGaudieri
New Contributor III

I am needing to find a solution to this...it's like Parcel Editor doesn't like these circular curves...the easement parcel was a polygon class and loaded into the fabric....then it broke...there has got to be a way to split this or do something other than trashing the parcel...anyone?

0 Kudos
TimHodson
Esri Contributor

Larry,

There a 2 possible reasons/solutions for this:

1. curve 40 to 39 has a negative radius, but it should be positive, or vice versa. Solve it by changing the sign of the radius.
  2. you might see this when the central angle is 180 degrees. a 180° circular arc is neither "major" (>180°) nor "minor" (<180°) The way that the parcel editor makes the distinction, when the lines grid is not set up to show central angle, is by making the chord length a negative number for "major" curves (meaning with a central angle > 180°). Solve it by changing the sign of the chord length.

-Tim

LarryGaudieri
New Contributor III

Again, thank  you Tim....changing the sign of the chord length worked. Thus far in my fabric (I mean, how many of these could there be?) I haven't had a curve like this so I wouldn't have imagined that modifying the value for the chord distance was a "thing"....

0 Kudos