Select to view content in your preferred language

Parcel Fabric, Must not intersect or touch interior

03-23-2016 01:13 PM
SusanSmith2
New Contributor

We are testing with a group of approximately 1300 parcels to migrate to the Parcel Fabric.  When we validate topology we receive approximately 2000 errors of "must not intersect or touch interior" for the parcel lines.  The parcels were originally created in MapInfo and we converted a shapefile.  Does anyone have any recommendations on how to resolve this quantity of errors in a reasonable way?  Our county has over 90,000 parcel and if 1300 parcels results in 2000 errors I'm really concerned about what 90,000 parcels will return. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
anna_garrett
Occasional Contributor III

I had a similar issue when we were coming from coverages. Turns out that I had accidentally imported my line feature classes twice, causing the same kind of topology error. Try converting your shapefiles to feature classes in a GDB and running Find Identical​ (and then use Delete Identical) or simply going into an edit session with your lines and selecting one to see if two features pop up. Way easier than going through the Error Inspector and clicking "Subtract" for all of the errors.

ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Just a general comment - when you import a shapefile to a geodatabase that has features created in geodatabase format and then run topology, there will be many slivers generated on curves due to the differences in how shapefiles store curves versus geodatabases.  At the City where I am at we encounter this often when updating our parcel data, as our "older" parcels were originally put into SDE from a process many years ago that involved shapefiles.  Our current process brings in newer parcels from a geodatabase, but when they adjoin parcels that were originally from shapefiles there are many tiny slivers.  So lots of errors, which is not unexpected (though certainly not desirable).

shapefile_curves.jpg

Chris Donohue, GISP

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you use the polygon to line tool or the feature to line tool when simplifying your original parcel polygons?  I was using the feature to line tool and getting many errors like you because of duplicate lines that create topology errors.  Once I switched to polygon to line tool and checked the identify box the duplicate lines were gone and so were the typology errors

ChristineLeslie
Esri Contributor

You can also use the Integrate geoprocessing tool, which makes shared boundaries coincident.

Integrate—Data Management toolbox | ArcGIS for Desktop

0 Kudos