email accounts for children under 13

Jump to solution
09-21-2015 08:21 PM
DellaRobertson
Occasional Contributor II

I received an email from a parent stating that her child cannot get a gmail account because she is under 13.  I need students to have emails so I can invite them to the ArcGIS Online Organization.  The parent asked if her child could use her account.  I wrote her that I would ask colleagues about this.

I thought they could use their google school accounts, but they are restricted.

What do you suggest in this situation?

Thank you.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
InaAhern
New Contributor III

Hi Della-

There are a couple different options.  One is to use your e-mail address for all the student accounts….either your regular e-mail or by creating a new e-mail that you use just for student e-mails. This means that you will have to manage any change password requests or other issues, but you can have as many accounts on the one e-mail as is necessary.

Another option may be to ask your tech department to "green light" Esri for use within your Google Apps for Edu domain.  That's what we did in our school.  Our e-mail is set up so that students can only send and receive e-mail from other addresses within our domain, but the administrator was able to set it so that students could receive e-mails from Esri so they could get password resets or other e-mails required to use AGO.  We're in our second year of using that approach and it seems to be working fine.

Ina

View solution in original post

4 Replies
InaAhern
New Contributor III

Hi Della-

There are a couple different options.  One is to use your e-mail address for all the student accounts….either your regular e-mail or by creating a new e-mail that you use just for student e-mails. This means that you will have to manage any change password requests or other issues, but you can have as many accounts on the one e-mail as is necessary.

Another option may be to ask your tech department to "green light" Esri for use within your Google Apps for Edu domain.  That's what we did in our school.  Our e-mail is set up so that students can only send and receive e-mail from other addresses within our domain, but the administrator was able to set it so that students could receive e-mails from Esri so they could get password resets or other e-mails required to use AGO.  We're in our second year of using that approach and it seems to be working fine.

Ina

DellaRobertson

Thank you, Ina.  I am meeting with a district ed tech person today.  I will share your recommendation with her.

AndyHenry3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Ina - we'll add that to our bag of tricks for teachers.

0 Kudos
DellaRobertson

Today, during my conference period, a district tech ed leader worked with me to develop a google form.

The students will fill it out.  I will submit that using option 1 --- without email.  I'm not completely clear on what we did.  Students will fill in the form by Friday, then I invite them.

I shared the ArcGIS Online environment with parents this evening at Back to School.  For the last group, I shared a wildlands fire Story Map.  They were fascinated.   Onward!

0 Kudos