How to Download the BaseMap or part of the basemap for offline to display the shapefile over it

08-09-2023 02:23 AM
PRAVEENPATNANA
New Contributor II

Hi team,

I didn't getting much clarity for Download the BaseMap data or Part of the BaseMap to our Local System to work with offline(i even get the trial version of the ArcGIS Pro but the ArcGISVersion 3.1 not supporting in my Linux OS) , Could you please give me the another procedure to download the Basemap with data,

i have to load the shape file over the BaseMap with offline.

Thanks& regards,

Praveen.

10 Replies
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

@PRAVEENPATNANA if you want to view a basemap offline, you need to use a tile package.  This is something @Nicholas-Furness has provided links to:

You can find an example here: https://developers.arcgis.com/java/sample-code/export-tiles/

In that code, an area of the basemap is downloaded (exported) as a TPK (you can learn more about that here), and used to create a new basemap and a new map. Once it's downloaded to your device, you can just use it whenever you create a new map. If you need more help with this, please ask a new question as requested previously.

Have you been able to use this sample?

0 Kudos
PRAVEENPATNANA
New Contributor II

Sir, 

Exporting Tiles i did but it's not useful for me because some part of the Basemap we are able to download & it's zoom level was not even enough for my project , my main aspect of my project is to load the basemap with all data (Looks like we loaded the basemap online ).

Now i'm working on creating .mmpk packages to download the Basemap to my localSystem using ArcGIS Pro, could you please give me the clarification of ArcGIS Pro Software  for how to download the Full Basemap in my localsystem to work offline .

Thanks& regards,

praveen

0 Kudos
MarkBaird
Esri Regular Contributor

@PRAVEENPATNANA 

The code in the sample for downloading tiled packages can be modified to change the area and the level of detail in the offline basemap, but this is only for portions of the basemap and there are limits to the amount of data you can download.

Before we look into using ArcGIS Pro we need to understand what you are trying to achieve so we can guide you to the best solution.  So far I've established you have some shapefile data and you want to display this over a basemap in an application which has no network connectivity.  Is this correct?

The next step is to understand a little more about your workflow and the area of the basemap you want and the detail.  You can't simply download an entire basemap for the whole world at all levels of detail; this would take huge amounts of storage.  So can you tell me the kind of basemap sizes you are wanting and the levels of detail you need in your application?

0 Kudos
PRAVEENPATNANA
New Contributor II

Dear Mark sir,

My main goal for this project is to display the Shapefile over the Basemap as previously we did , but my manager wants these things to be done in offline (With out network Conection).

So i want the SampleBase map layers with the  full data of india map( becuase we have to pointout the place with Latitude and longitude in india map) in that india map i have to add the shapefile layer,  please guide me how to do.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

For using ArcGIS Pro,  this blog article may help.

0 Kudos
Nicholas-Furness
Esri Regular Contributor

As I mentioned in my response to your other question, there are many things to consider when taking data offline. What extent do you need (sounds like you want all of India, but often you only need areas where there is no network coverage for accessing services), what zoom levels do you need (it seems you want all zoom levels), and which basemap (Imagery? Streets?).

For your requirements, just downloading the basemap from a service will not be practical, and may not even be possible (a basemap for all of India with full zoom levels will result in a very large file). But there are other ways to get this data, like with a product such as StreetMap Premium.

I would suggest you contact your local Esri distributor to discuss options. If you're in India, that would be Esri India: https://www.esri.in/ They will be able to help you determine the best approach for your application, and provide the support you need to implement your solution.

0 Kudos
PRAVEENPATNANA
New Contributor II

Dear Nicholas sir,

Yes i want all of  india with topographic layers & we want the Zoom levels as streets.

0 Kudos
MarkBockenhauer
Esri Regular Contributor

As @Nicholas-Furness writes this data is available via StreetMapPremium.  The offline useable vector tile package of India that you are wanting is 1.2 GigaBytes in size.    This Mobile Map Package available through StreetMapPremium also has a routing network and locators that account for 14.8 GigaBytes of its size. 

0 Kudos
PRAVEENPATNANA
New Contributor II

Sir,

When i'm clicking on Download  it shows "You do not have permissions to access this resource." what i do?

0 Kudos