Will a single 8-core CPU or dual 4-core CPU perform better on a physical enterprise application server

05-14-2019 05:01 PM
Labels (2)
DeeMcKenzie
New Contributor II

I’m replacing a physical system for ArcGIS enterprise that has a limitation of 8 cores (no ELA).  My options are a single Intel Xeon Gold 6144 CPU, leaving a socket open or dual intel Xeon Gold 5222.  Each system will have plenty of 128 GB RAM, but thinking the performance may be better with the dual 4-core CPUs.

All of the sizing examples indicate dual CPU (that I could tell), so it seems I am unable to perform a true comparison. 

Thoughts? 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

You're absolutely right, the more CPU cores you have, the better the environment will run relative to a single 4 core CPU.

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
0 Kudos
DeeMcKenzie
New Contributor II

Don't "dual" (2) 4-core processors equal 8 total cores?  The question pertains to whether there is an advantage to have 2 CPU with same total core count over a single CPU, leaving a CPU socket unused on a Cisco B200 M5 blade server.  Will ArcGIS Server prefer one over the other on that hardware?  

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

I see what you mean now! 

We use a 3rd party website to see how any CPU compares to any other CPU.  https://spec.org/cgi-bin/osgresults?conf=cpu2017 On the drop down, select to search by processor and that will let you search by the chip number. 

Looking at those 2 chips, I see the following CPU2017 Integer Rates:

Xeon Gold 6144: ballpark of 116 per chip

Xeon Gold 5222:ballpark of 63.2 per chip, so 2 chips would be 126.2. 

These scores vary slightly by vendor, so you should look at your vendor's scores. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.