Upgrading ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.6.1 to 10.8 and wondering how long it will take?

07-09-2020 09:01 AM
BobNoyes
Occasional Contributor

It took about 3 hours for Portal to upgrade and I am wondering if this is normal. Will the server and datastore be similar? What should I expect? What have other people experienced in this regard?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I can say that I have not seen a "normal" time for an upgrade duration. There are many factors involved in the upgrade, especially if you are moving a few version up. I have seen that the # of services (hosted / non-hosted) do have some impact in the process time frame. You also have to consider the machine specs (and if a VM the host resources at that time).

I have experienced between 2 - 4 hours for everything on my local machine, but I do not have lots of content. This is across many different versions and the laptop is not a server.

Just make sure you follow the steps documented here: Upgrade ArcGIS Enterprise—ArcGIS Enterprise | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise  for the best upgrade experience. I have seen where skipping steps or doing it out of order creates some headaches.

Hope this helps a little!

ArcGIS Enterprise

--- George T.
BobNoyes
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your response. We have been doing the steps outlined in link. Even though it says nothing needs to be uninstalled the web adapters actually need to be uninstalled and reinstalled which, for some reason, seems to also remove content folders. We just rolled it back and are looking at giving it another shot. 

George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor

I agree that should be added to the documentation on the web adapters. I just uninstall/reinstall with the same WA name with no issues. I have been doing this for every version since 10.6 or so.

--- George T.