unable to install second web adaptor for arcgis enterprise 10.8

05-28-2020 06:53 AM
MarcSIMON
Esri Contributor

I try to install ArcGIS Enterprise on one Windows Server 2016 Standard. Actually installed: Certificates (no errors with port 443), Portal for ArcGIS, Web Adaptor for Portal, ArcGIS Server. 

When I try to install the second adaptor for ArcGIS Server, I have only the choice "Repair" or "Remove".

How can I resolve this?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Marc,

When you try to install the second web adaptor, are you running the Setup.exe and then getting prompt to "Repair" or "Remove"?

Could you please mention the workflow that your doing when trying to install the second web adaptor?

Cheers

0 Kudos
MarcSIMON
Esri Contributor

Hello James,

Sorry for the late answer. The workflow is very easy, all the work is done in a new VM Windows Server 2016 Standard.:

• Before installing, activation domain certificate throughs IIS and MMC in the Trusted Organisation
  • Install Portal for ArcGIS 10.8
  • Replacing Self-signed certificate by domain certificate
  • Install Web Adaptor for Portal for ArcGIS 10.8
  • Install ArcGIS Server 10.8
  • Replacing Self-signed certificate by domain certificate
  • Install Web Adaptor ArcGIS Server 10.8

It is by the installation from the second web Adaptor that I receive the mention “Repair” or “Remove”.

I have resolved the problem with following workflow:

The workaround for this issue is to duplicate your existing webadaptor as second webadaptor. Here is the detail steps: (i assumed you used IIS and installed webadaptor on inepub/wwwroot/)

1. wa already installed, and you name it 'waportal' > don't register anything in here (portal or arcgis server)
  2. go to c:/inetpub/wwwroot -> copy 'waportal' and paste on the same place c:/inetpub/wwroot/ by default second wa name is 'waportal copy'. rename it, for example 'waserver'
  3. Give appropriate access at this new folder in inetpub/wwwroot/
  4. you have to convert 'waserver' as application. go to IIS Manager > in the left side expand Default Website > right click in waserver, choose convert to application
  5. you have 2 wa right now. the first is waportal and the second is waserver.
  6. register your portal on your waportal go to http://yourhost/waportal/webadaptor/ > select portal for arcgis then follow the instruction
  7. register your arcgis server on your waserver go to http://yourhost/waserver/webadaptor/ > select arcgis for server then follow the instruction.DNS

This was an old solution described for the 10.4 version, but it works also for the version 10.8.

I think that the failure is caused by the use from a DNS at my server. I did this while the purpose was to install a fully disconnected server in VMWare Workstation 15.5. For my next installation, I will configure specific servers (ArcGIS Enterprise, DNS, Geoportal) and share the servers in an internal virtual network.

Best Regards,

Marc

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Marc,

Thanks for taking your time to type out your workflow and solution. I did also happen to find the solution that you utilized on another GeoNet posts. I'll go ahead and place a link for that in the following for future reference.

Have an awesome rest of your day and stay safe.

Cheers,

James

0 Kudos