Small multi user deployment

10-24-2019 01:03 PM
ChrisMartinez
New Contributor III

I've been the only GIS person for 10 year at the small city I work for.  We have recently added a new person, and I would like to know the best way to go about setting us up.  It seems all the resources available are for large, enterprise deployments, and I'm having a hard time locating anything geared to my situation.  So that's my first question, can someone point me at some good resources?

We have already become aware to the limitations of using a file geodatabase in a multiuser environment.  I was considering deploying a PostgreSQL database, but since we are such a small shop Enterprise is out of the question.  So my second question would be, is there an implementation that would allow use a single database without stepping on each other?

I would greatly appreciate any input.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Chris,

Have you looked into a workgroup geodatabase? It sounds like it may be a good fit for your needs.

Workgroup geodatabases—Manage data | ArcGIS Enterprise 

It relies on an instance of SQL Server Express, which is free. These are the steps for getting that up and running: Set up a database server—Help | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos