How to manage licenses as an organization?

Jump to solution
11-08-2018 08:53 AM
AndrewKovacs
New Contributor

We're about to purchase an ArcGIS Basic Single-Use license. I've asked a few different salespeople and really haven't received technically satisfactory answers, and I need to provide a license management plan in order to make the purchase.

Essentially, I have to ensure that if an employee leaves the company, that under all circumstances, I will be able to retain control of the license without legal or excessive proof of purchase requirements. I was provided this link: Setting the software product and license environment—Help | ArcGIS Desktop, but it doesn't provide how the License Management system works. Can I have the License Management tool installed on my own computer, managed by my ESRI account, and remotely deauthorize a user or license installed on one of my employees' computers?

If not, how do I retain control of the license? A scenario that is unacceptable is if the license ownership is tied to an individual account, and the employee requires the credentials to log into that account in order to use ArcGIS products.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

For single-use license you will be able to use ArcGIS Administrator

How To: Perform online deauthorization of licenses for ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Engine 

Another option would be the user runs this tool after they uninstall the program to deauthorize the license:

How To: Deauthorize ArcGIS Desktop and Engine Single Use licenses after uninstalling the software 

Best, 

Luba

View solution in original post

4 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Andrew,

For single-use license you will be able to use ArcGIS Administrator

How To: Perform online deauthorization of licenses for ArcGIS for Desktop and ArcGIS Engine 

Another option would be the user runs this tool after they uninstall the program to deauthorize the license:

How To: Deauthorize ArcGIS Desktop and Engine Single Use licenses after uninstalling the software 

Best, 

Luba

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Andrew,

Single Use licenses are authorized on the individual system which can then be deauthorize on the system as Luba mentioned.  However it cannot be done if you no longer have access to the system.  If you installed and authorized a license on a student's system and he/she takes it home, the license goes along with it.  There is no tool to manually retrieve that license.  This is a limitation of Single Use licensing option.  

For your situation, you may want to consider using the Concurrent Use Licensing option.  In this model, you install a license manager which will host all your licenses.  Another system with ArcGIS Desktop or ArcGIS Pro can point to the license manager for the licenses.  This way, the administrator can manage all licenses on the license manager.  But all client machines must be on the network to connect to the license manager.  If a user need to take the license off the network, this is possible as well.  The machine with the user application can connect to the license manage and borrow a license.  Once borrowed, the user can run the application using  the borrowed licenses.  As an administrator, you can set a time limitation on the license manager to limit the number of days the borrowed license will be active.  When the expiration date is reached, the licenses will be returned back to the license manager.  

The following link provide information concerning the licensing option:

ArcGIS Desktop licensing—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

0 Kudos
AndrewKovacs
New Contributor

Hello,

This contradicts Luba's answer. Can you please clarify how ArcGIS Administrator in her answer cannot retrieve the license without access to the device it's installed on?

I don't need concurrent licensing, which also costs twice as much. I have one employee at a time who will be using one license. Not multiple employees who need part time access to a single license.

If it is impossible to manage/retrieve a license that costs thousands of dollars because a licensed laptop is stolen or crashed, or the only way to do so is to pay twice as much for concurrent licensing that we don't actually need, we will have to stick with open source solutions.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Andrew,

You requested a tool that will retrieve lost licenses from a remote system.  We do not have such a tool. ArcGIS Administrator is one of the application installed with ArcGIS Desktop.  It is the application used to authorize licenses to be able to use the applications.  It is also the tool to deauthorize the license to remove it from the system.  You can then install and authorize ArcGIS Desktop on another system.  In a situation where the systems was lost, stolen, crash, etc, you cannot remove the auhtorized license because you no longer have access to the ArcGIS Administrator.  In such a situation, you must contact Esri Support or go to MyEsri as mentioned in the Note section of the article Luba sent:

0 Kudos