Assumptive risk model for illegal activity occurrence in QGIS

Jump to solution
07-04-2021 12:35 AM
Ri
by
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me with one aspect of my master's dissertation. I'm investigating the spatial distribution of illegal activity (poaching, logging, encroachment, etc.) occurrence in a Nigerian forest reserve. I want to establish a risk model based on the following assumptions:

Variable

Criteria

Risk Outcome

Forest cover

If forest cover = low

If forest cover = moderate

If forest cover = high

River

If nearest river > 2km

If nearest river ≤ 2km

Road

If nearest road > 2km

If nearest road ≤ 2km

Community

If nearest community > 2km

If nearest community ≤ 2km

Ranger post

If ranger post ≤ 4km

If ranger post > 4km

where the sum of risk outcomes is equal to a total risk value for a given point on the map.

My overall goal is to create something like this:

10.1177_194008291600900127-fig5.gif

I'm learning QGIS for the first time so have been having trouble with some methods. So far, I've tried using the semi-automatic classification plugin to classify forest cover into the three classes (low, moderate, high) but have run into a python error message each time. Now I've managed to get to this:

Screen Shot 2021-07-04 at 8.03.28 AM.png

 However, there is no attribute table and I'm unsure of what the symbology values represent. 

My first question is: (a) how do I group these symbology values into three classes, and (b) is it possible to definitively classify pixels based on these values for use in a model?

Second: how can I approach establishing a risk model based on the assumptions I've outlined? Does anyone know of a plugin or user-friendly method where I can set specific risk values to each area?

I've managed to do buffers quite easily but realized it isn't helpful for what i want to do because there's a confusing amount of overlap. It also doesn't help for the forest cover classification anyway. 

As I said, I'm quite new but have played around with a few methods and haven't had any luck. I'd really appreciate any advice at all! 

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

If you aren't using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, you would be advised to post on that site

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

If you aren't using ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro, you would be advised to post on that site

... sort of retired...