ArcMap Crashing Problem

03-04-2019 04:19 PM
Lucas_Peña_de_Fernandez_Alcaza
New Contributor II

Greetings! 

I am having the following problems and I hope someone could help me find a solution:

Everytime I try to do a spatial join or even something simple as adding a base map, ArcMap crashes. I'm relatively new to the software but it the software had been working perfectly fine until recently. No changes have been made to the computer and the hardware seems to be working fine. Any tips?  

Tags (2)
7 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Lucas,

What version of ArcMap are you running? (is there a patch for your version that maybe you could install?). When you say crashes, can you describe what you're seeing and/or not seeing?

You could try running through the steps of resetting your ArcGIS application profile:

Resetting your ArcGIS application profile 

You could also try performing a Repair Install on your ArcGIS software as well

New Contributor II

Thanks for the tips. I'm running ArcMap 10.3.3. When I say crashes I mean that the window suddenly closes and a message appears saying there has been a fatal error (or something dramatic of that sort) but it doesn't give me an error code. 

VictoriaAnderson
Esri Contributor

Lucas,

There are several things you can try:

New Contributor II

Thanks! I'll try and see if it works. 

New Contributor II

Hi Victoria! 

I've tried everything you mentioned. I've even de-authorized/authorized the software. It's still giving me the same error: ArcGIS Desktop has found a serious application error. I'm running ArcGIS 10.3.1 on Windows 10 for what it's worth. 

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Lucas,

If you are still having issues, it may be worth contacting Esri Technical Support at this point.

0 Kudos
VictoriaAnderson
Esri Contributor

Hi Lucas,

I have a few more suggestions:

• Do you have any add-ins installed? If so, could you try removing them?
  • Also, do you have background geoprocessing enabled? If so, can you please try disabling it. 
  • Can another user try logging onto your computer and see if they can reproduce the crash?
    • If another user cannot reproduce the crash, then this may be related to your windows user profile. If this is the case, your IT would have to re-create your windows user profile. 

You can always contact Esri Technical Support so an analyst can take a closer look at what's going on with this issue.