ArcGIS Server Upgrade - DNS Change - Collector Syncs

Jump to solution
01-24-2019 12:57 PM
BrianCollins
Occasional Contributor

Planning to migrate production web services from 10.3.1 to 10.6.1 in a couple months. We're migrating/staging everything on an entirely new server. The last step will be to switch over the DNS entry from our current 10.3 production server to the new 10.6 instance. The backend data sources will not change.

Here's my question/concern: if an end user has content in Collector that originates from 10.3 and then the DNS entry switches over to the new 10.6 server and they try to sync will it fail? The REST endpoint URL will be the same. The backend database/datasource will be the same. It should be transparent and I'm hoping that Collector is none the wiser and that ArcGIS Server (either version) simply brokers the transaction but doesn't place any holds or dependencies.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

I can't say that I'd do this myself.

I'd recommend that your users sync to 10.3.1 prior to the switch and re-download their caches from the 10.6.1 Server. 

While what you suggest may work on paper, I'd be hesitant to risk this myself. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

I can't say that I'd do this myself.

I'd recommend that your users sync to 10.3.1 prior to the switch and re-download their caches from the 10.6.1 Server. 

While what you suggest may work on paper, I'd be hesitant to risk this myself. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
BrianCollins
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jacob...we'll plan accordingly and coordinate with end users in advance to check in and redownload web maps after the DNS change. For those that don't, I'll cross my fingers that things automagically still work but plan to have some users with data stranded on mobile devices needing manual offload.