ArcGIS Architecture Series: Tools of an Architect

04-01-2019 10:36 AM
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

The Architecture Practice team in Professional Services is pleased to announce a new series leading up to the Esri User Conference.  We will be highlighting various tools and best practices for ArcGIS Enterprise implementation and tuning.

System design and architecture can some times feel daunting.  As an ArcGIS Enterprise or ArcGIS Server administrator, you may occasionally be faced with decisions for how to best optimize the services within your site for performance, reduce wait-times, and eliminate service down times.

Note: The contents presented above are recommendations that will typically improve performance for many scenarios. However, in some cases, these recommendations may not produce better performance results, in which case, additional performance testing and system configuration modifications may be needed.

Implementing ArcGISArcGIS MonitorArcGIS EnterpriseGeodatabase

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
22 Replies
DianeMcGuerty1
New Contributor II

Hi- Any update for a fix for this issue? I just downloaded the newest version and am still getting the token service url is undefined...

Thanks

0 Kudos
poojagam
New Contributor

I am trying to configure system log parser for azure and passed all required inputs . When I click analyse logs it just display message at bottom of panel "Querying log data.. Please wait.. (0 kb retrieved)" and does nothing

0 Kudos
DebbieBull
New Contributor II

I would like to run EGDBHealth on a schedule, is there a command-line interface for it?..and a reference document for syntax?

0 Kudos
DannyKrouk
Esri Contributor

There is a command-line interface to egdbhealth.  It is described in the documentation that comes with the download.  While I've not found an occasion to schedule it, I know of people who have.  So, it is certainly do-able.  If you run into challenges, feel free to email me (my address is in the documentation). 🙂

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm currently unable to download any content from the ArcGISMonitorTeam, including egdbHealth.

0 Kudos
MarkChilcott
Occasional Contributor III

Hi,

I have run the System Log Parser.  On the Request Performance Tab for the Top 500 slowest requests I see a lot of /legend requests.  When I send a REST /legend request to the service, it responds well.  

Any idea what may be causing this?  Could it be an app like ArcGIS Pro?

Cheers,

Mark

0 Kudos
SH013
by
Occasional Contributor

Hi there, I recently ran the System Log Parser  and encountered the following error message "Could not collect logs! ArcGIS Log Query Error: Could not send HTTP request  https://gisserver.domain.com/server/admin/logs/query Reason: equest Execution Time: 300.04 second (see attachment for reference).

I also received a warning message from the System Log Parser that the log collection attempt could not be completed. Please check inputs. ArcGIS Log Query Error: Could not send http request.

Any idea what could be causing this problem? The System Log Parser is working in another independent environment of ours, but not this particular one. 

for some reason it would start querying log data and ask me to wait and then get stuck at 3168kb retrieved before timing out.

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
JacobBoyle412
Esri Contributor

We've pushed out an update on March 8, 2021.  Please re-download and let us know the result.

If you are having further issues, please use the ArcGIS Server (FS) button and point the tool at the file location of your logs. 

Jacob is a Sr. Solution Architect for Esri Professional Services and loves conservation planning, woodworking, LEGO, and his dogs.
AnthonyRyanEQL
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a blog/post on the information that System Log Parser generates could be achieved using another system that ingests the server log files (eg. Dynatrace, ELK).

We currently use Dynatrace with server metrics (eg. CPU, RAM) and going to expand into log ingestion in the near future and would like to use 1 system if possible to gain insight at the various aspects of the system (eg. system utilization, performance, health, etc)

If not, is the System Log Parser source code available? 

0 Kudos
DavidHoy
Esri Contributor

Hi Anthony,
it is certainly possible to use other tools that achieve the same outcomes as SLP. 
It gathers information from the Server logs either by making repeated calls to the REST endpoints or by directly reading the log files themselves.
The magic is in how the raw information is turned into useful statistics.
I would say it is not reasonable to ask for the source code for how this is done.
You would need to gather log start transaction and end transaction records grouped by transaction-id and do the maths for the duration.
Then collate a table/dictionary of all transactions and retrieve the various statistics
- time of day, duration, success/error codes, etc

then use this dictionary to create useful reports.

or, you could write code that calls SLP.exe  to gather the stats and report with your dashboard tool - that's how ArcGIS Monitor does it

Good luck in your endeavour

0 Kudos