world imagery

Jump to solution
11-09-2016 04:33 AM
AFor
by
New Contributor II

Hi I want to know about the quality & scaleabilty of the world imagery. Until very recently I could load in the world imagery into ArcGIS for Desktop & zoom  to scales as detailed as 1:750 without loss of definition. The imagery stayed sharp, ungrainy, bright & clear with rarely any glares or problems. But this is not now the case. My area of interest is Scotland. What has happened to the world imagery for Scotland, the quality has become very poor when it should be improving . And it seems from another comment I have seen, Switzerland has the same problem. What has happened? When will the quality return?

AF

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JackHardy
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan

We refreshed our ArcGIS Online Imagery Basemap on October 25th with updated data for much of Europe. This updated data brought many benefits, primarily more recent data and significant quality improvements across large areas. However, we have observed issues with the quality of some of the imagery in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

We are working hard with our data provider to resolve these issues as soon as possible

For more information, please read the following blog post:
http://communityhub.esriuk.com/technicalsupport/2016/11/10/issues-with-the-world-imagery-service

View solution in original post

8 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I can find little on this except related to your settings which would have required a change on your part... but worth having a look

Improving the display of raster data—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

Setting default raster display options—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

then others are specific to the software being used

Optimizing ArcGlobe—Help | ArcGIS for Desktop 

AFor
by
New Contributor II

Thanks for looking at this Dan, you have given me somethings to work on – I have recently upgraded to 10.4.1 so it might have made the changes.

Kind regards

Angela

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If anything works Angela, let us know... you would hope that some settings would persist between updates, but I suspect this isn't the case

0 Kudos
AFor
by
New Contributor II

Hi Dan

I’ve had a look round the first two of the links you sent me but got nowhere. I didn’t change the settings when I upgraded but I am disappointed at the quality of the imagery.

I have attached 2 images of more or less the same location, one from March 2016 & one from November 2016. Obviously the aerial imagery has been updated but the November one lacks the clarity of the March one.

Any further thoughts/suggestions/explanations would be gratefully received.

It also seem strange that when just looking at Bing map aerial imagery the quality is far superior than what is available through esri.

Kind regards

Angela

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the images are for the same extent, and you can't get any information on the image data like ell size etc etc., I would file a support request.  Especially if other people on different machines are seeing the same issue

0 Kudos
JackHardy
Esri Contributor

Hi Dan

We refreshed our ArcGIS Online Imagery Basemap on October 25th with updated data for much of Europe. This updated data brought many benefits, primarily more recent data and significant quality improvements across large areas. However, we have observed issues with the quality of some of the imagery in the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland.

We are working hard with our data provider to resolve these issues as soon as possible

For more information, please read the following blog post:
http://communityhub.esriuk.com/technicalsupport/2016/11/10/issues-with-the-world-imagery-service

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Good to know.. too bad the UK blog info doesn't filter its way across to the N.A side.  Thanks for the update and link.

0 Kudos
AFor
by
New Contributor II

Thanks Dan just picked up the recent info from Jack Hardy…..at least I now know that it wasn’t me doing something wrong. I hope the imagery improves soon. I’ll keep a eye on the link from Jack.

Kind regards

Angela

0 Kudos