Why is my mosaic dataset coming out with blue areas after building overviews?

08-31-2020 09:55 AM
MaritzaReyes
New Contributor

I am trying to build overviews for a large mosaic dataset. I have tried building them twice, and both times they have come out with blue areas. I know that it is not the data, but something with the processing that is making it blue (raw tiff files look fine). The exact steps I take are :

1.) Create file geodatabase

2.) Create a mosaic dataset

3.) Add rasters

4.) Build footprints

5.) Define Overviews

6.) Build Overviews

The only thing that has changed between the first time and second time building the are some of the property settings. The second time I changed the sampling factor to 5 when defining the overviews, and when I built the overviews I changed the parallel processing to 1 under the geoprocessing menu > Environments >Parallel processing. The first time I ran those two tools I left the default. 

I would appreciate the help. Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

If you are referring to the blue patches in the lake water and some mountain areas (NorthWest), I believe you will find this is part of the source. The image is being enhanced a bit and this is enhancing this parts which previously may have been darker. The only other time I have seen something similar is imagery is 4band, There cases were the 4th bang gets read an alpha band which can affect colors. This would only be applicable if the imagery is 4band. If you open the source images in this area and change the stretch you should see similar. You may want to check the stretch being applied or add a specific stretch function at the mosaic level. The steps you do are correct. I would recommend changing the resampling factor to 2. 

0 Kudos