What type of Drones are you using with Drone2Map?

08-16-2016 01:42 PM
MichaelSeybert
Esri Contributor

I am interested in understanding what type of Drones users are using with the Drone2Map software.  If you can include spec details or make and model that would be great.  

Cheers,

Mike

7 Replies
GordonSumerling
Esri Contributor

Hello Mike,

I think what a lot of people miss when they ask "what type of drone are you using", is that it is not the drone which is important. I can use practically any imagery with drone2map on the previso that the imagery has a xyz associated with and as an added bonus omega, phi and kappa. If your platform cannot provide georegistered images then generally it cannot be used. 

As as an example I have been using a 3dr solo with a GoPro. Now by default the imagery from the GoPro and the 3dr solo application is not geo registered. However, if I use the 3dr flight planning software, SiteScan, then the images can be post registered and then used in drone2map. This is the advantage of drone2map it is not tied to any one platform.

I hope this helps with the discussion 

Gordon

BrianLeroux
Occasional Contributor III

The GoPro Hero 5 should takes some steps out of that process now that it will have GPS.

MichaelSeybert
Esri Contributor

You should be able to use SOLO and the GoPro without SiteScan however, as you are able to download the logs from the Pixhawk 2 and reference the time signature of when the shutter was depressed.  Drone2Map for ArcGIS will recognize this and with the associated EXIF data downloaded from the logs and input in to a table you can create the orthomosaic directly.  - Mike

0 Kudos
HeenaLee
New Contributor III

We used DJI Inspire 1 Pro and now using DJI Inspire 2. You should be able to find the specs online.

Heena

MichaelSeybert
Esri Contributor

Nice Drone!  How do you like the Inspire 2?

0 Kudos
HeenaLee
New Contributor III

I like it a lot because we can fly in winter time. The batteries heat up before taking off. We've tired in 15 F. No problem. Also it uses two batteries, so longer flight time.