view raster product in 10.1

07-07-2015 06:04 AM
KeotaSilaphone
New Contributor

How can I view the raster product (Multispectral file) of a Landsat image in 10.1? I thought this was supposed to be automatically created with the L1T product and viewable in 10.1. What settings do I need to have to see this?

Oddly enough, when I view the same Landsat raster files in 10.3 I can see the Multispectral file, just not in 10.1. I have to view the raster products in 10.1 since that's what we are running at our university.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
ChrisDonohue__GISP
MVP Alum

Not sure if you have tried this yet, but see if you can view it with the Image Analysis Window within ArcMap:

ArcGIS Help 10.1

Chris Donohue, GISP

0 Kudos
KeotaSilaphone
New Contributor

Hi Chris,

I was actually using Image Analysis to view the raster images in both 10.3 and 10.1.

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Keota,

Which Landsat sensor is the product from (e.g., 5, 7, 8)?

KeotaSilaphone
New Contributor

Landsat 7.

I know how to create a composite using the composite button in image analysis (temporary file) and composite raster tool in arctoolbox (raster file saved to disk space). I just want to know why the raster product isn't showing up in the folder containing all of the bands and text files downloaded from Glovis when viewed in 10.1. The raster product is visible in 10.3.

Keota

Sent from my iPhone

0 Kudos
GabrielUpchurch1
Occasional Contributor III

The Landsat 7 L1T raster product should be supported in 10.1 but I pulled down a few samples from Glovis and reproduced the behavior as well.  Additionally, I was unsuccessful in adding it to a mosaic dataset using the Landsat 7 ETM+ raster type, which should also be supported.  It appears that 10.1 is not recognizing the *_MTL.txt metadata file required to work with the Landsat imagery as a raster product.

I wasn't able to find anything documented but I am leaning towards a possible defect or known (but undocumented) limitation.  I am curious and plan to look further into the issue when time allows and will pass along anything I find out.

KeotaSilaphone
New Contributor

Okay. Thank you for looking into this. I thought I was doing something wrong and spent a couple of days trying to figure out what setting(s) I had in 10.3 that were not in 10.1.

Please let me know what you find.

Sent from my iPad

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The Metadata from the Landsat (and other providers) does change from time to time. We try and keep up in the latest version of ArcGIS, but these updates do not get back ported to the older versions of ArcGIS.  This is most likely why some scenes work and others not. You will see new Raster Products being added and updated in each version.