Using ArcGISPro (2.4) Mosaic process does not work, Blending does not work. My images have Straight lines from the Footprint, and not the Seamlines. Is there a method for incorporating Seamlines to blend or smooth overlapping areas?

12-06-2019 09:24 AM
SWilander
New Contributor III

Arcpro Mosaic process will not output acceptable seamless mosaics.

I have Georeferenced ~400 historical aerial images and want to mosaic the images into a single stand alone .tif file. When I run Mosaic To a New Raster, the output does not utilize the Seamlines I have created. Rather it uses the Footprints to mosaic the images. This leaves straight lines between images (along a flightline).

My workflow is as follows: 

Create Mosaic Dataset (the big empty nothing in a file.gdb)

Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset (Add my Georeferenced aerial images)

Build Footprints

Compute Mosaic Candidates

Build Seamlines (Radiometry)

Mosaic To New Raster

Why wont this process work? Anyone have a similar issue?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Steven,

the Seamlines will only be used, if you set the MosaicMethod to 'Seamline' - did you do that (sorry if that is too simple)?

Remember that if you do the export from a Catalog item, the DEFAULT MOSAIC METHOD will be applied, so for that process you'd have to set this to SEAMLINE.

Note a few more comments:

• If your historic images overlap a lot, you might make use of the VORONOI method to create the Seamlines
  • Whatever Seamline method you used, the blend_width/blend_width_units and blend_type will have an effect
  • In the Seamline FC Attribute Table you can set individual values for those if you like

Regards
Guenter

SWilander
New Contributor III

Thank you Guenter. That's a fine answer. Where specifically do I need to set that process to Seamline? I have done this in Mosaic Dataset Properties, and in Configure Allow List. You are correct I am interfacing in Catalog and only use the Analysis Tools to run the Mosaic To a New Raster. I think you have answered the question, I will have to look around some more. Thank you.

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Steven,

In the MosaicDataset Properties, where you mention the ‘allow list’ there is also the default selection.

To see if it actually does what you want I would start in Pro/Map and check visually ...

- does the Seamline sub-later show up and contain polygons?

- when you use ‘Seamline’ mosaicking there (and zoom in to a Seamline a lot) - do you see the effect?

G.

Sent from mobile Phone

Am 11.12.2019 um 19:12 schrieb Steven Dale <geonet@esri.com<mailto:geonet@esri.com>>:

GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Re: Using ArcGISPro (2.4) Mosaic process does not work, Blending does not work. My images have Straight lines from the Footprint, and not the Seamlines. Is there a method for incorporating Seamlines to blend or smooth overlapping areas?

reply from Steven Dale<https://community.esri.com/people/SDale@slco.org_slco?et=watches.email.thread> in Imagery and Remote Sensing - View the full discussion<https://community.esri.com/message/896802-re-using-arcgispro-24-mosaic-process-does-not-work-blending-does-not-work-my-images-have-straight-lines-from-the-footprint-and-not-the-seamlines-is-there-a-method-for-incorporating-seamlines-to-blend-or-smooth-overlapping-areas?commentID=896802&et=watches.email.thread#comment-896802>

SWilander
New Contributor III

Thanks Guenter. The answer in the end was to adjust the properties in the Mosaic Dataset in the TOC of the Map (Specifically), and I was able to reach the correct output -of using the Seamlines in the Mosaic process.