Using a mosaic dataset on two seperate computers

Jump to solution
12-11-2019 12:36 PM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I have created a mosaic dataset which is stored in a file geodatabase and would like me and my coworker to start using this mosaic as the imagery in our maps. I have the mosaic working on my computer but when I try and bring it into her map for her to use, it won't work. All I get is the checkerboard pattern. I search on the web and found the checkerboard pattern happens because the mosaic dataset has a broken path so I went and tried doing the Repair mosaic dataset path but it still doesn't want to work. Can anybody tell me how I could fix this?

I had the same problem on my computer and ran the same repair tool and it fixed it but it doesn't want to work when I try it on hers. Another thing I thought too is we have access to the same file geodatabase, it's just mapped under a different letter on our computers. Do we have to have it mapped to the same letter drive for it to work on both our computers?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The mosaic dataset contains the path to each of the source images (as well as the overviews). If you are intending to use the same mosaic dataset between different machines then you need to ensure one of the following:

- Use the same drive letters on the computers

- Use UNC paths that are unambiguous and ensure each user has access

- Place the mosaic dataset (assuming file geodatabase) in the same path as the data. (IE system will attempt to connect to image with same drive as source if access fails)

Note that by default the overviews are stored in the same location as the mosaic dataset. Although this can be defined as a different location.

Note when serving a mosaic dataset as an image services if you use UNC paths then do ensure that the user that is being used as the user of the server also has access. This is often the reason for the checkerboard on server.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The mosaic dataset contains the path to each of the source images (as well as the overviews). If you are intending to use the same mosaic dataset between different machines then you need to ensure one of the following:

- Use the same drive letters on the computers

- Use UNC paths that are unambiguous and ensure each user has access

- Place the mosaic dataset (assuming file geodatabase) in the same path as the data. (IE system will attempt to connect to image with same drive as source if access fails)

Note that by default the overviews are stored in the same location as the mosaic dataset. Although this can be defined as a different location.

Note when serving a mosaic dataset as an image services if you use UNC paths then do ensure that the user that is being used as the user of the server also has access. This is often the reason for the checkerboard on server.

SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply Peter!

Right now I have the datasets stored on a database server not hosted on a web server

0 Kudos
ModyBuchbinder
Esri Regular Contributor

When this idea: https://community.esri.com/ideas/9279  will be implemented it will solve the problem!

0 Kudos
GuenterDoerffel
Esri Contributor

Scott,

a mosaic dataset stores references to the image files by path. So if drive mapping of the imagery is different for the two users on different machines, you will get this checkerboard effect. So from what you describe, there are two options:

- The Images are also in the file GDB as RasterDatasets (hope not, file based store in a well-performing format is preferred) - then you have to use Repair and replace the path where the fGDB is on your machine with the path where it is on your colleagues machine

- The Image files are stored on a (file server?) drive that your colleague does not have access to or has mapped it as a different drive - then change this drive mapping or give access or repair to different drive mapping.

BTW: don’t Store fGDB on Shared Network drives ... Communication will be sort of slow

Regards

G.

Sent from mobile Phone

Am 11.12.2019 um 21:37 schrieb Scott Louque <geonet@esri.com<mailto:geonet@esri.com>>:

GeoNet, The Esri Community | GIS and Geospatial Professional Community <https://community.esri.com/?et=watches.email.thread>

Using a mosaic dataset on two seperate computers

created by Scott Louque<https://community.esri.com/people/scott.louque?et=watches.email.thread> in Imagery and Remote Sensing - View the full discussion<https://community.esri.com/message/896846-using-a-mosaic-dataset-on-two-seperate-computers?et=watches.email.thread>

0 Kudos