Using a DEM with a VIRTUAL SANBOX

03-28-2017 07:45 AM
petegillard
New Contributor III

We have a virtual sandbox here which we'd like to incorporate a DEM for our area.  We have the DEM and I understand the DEM has to be in a .grd format. The only reference i've seen to convert that is with the Data Interoperability extension (which we don't currently have). Is there some other way to work with the DEM ?

Thanks,

Pete

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor

When you say .grd format, I will assume you are referring to ArcGrid format. I also assume you have access to ArcGIS. So, add your DEM to argis, right click on the file in the table of contents, and choose DATA>> EXPORT DATA and in the format selection, choose GRID.

Best Regards,

Jim

0 Kudos
petegillard
New Contributor III

Thanks we did try that, but the ArcGIS grid format has no extension. The .grd i could find in 'supported formats' called a .grd a "Golden Software Grid" - in the Raster File format options (under Customize>ArcMap Options, there is a .grd also identified as "Northwood/Vertical Mapper Numeric Grid". Both are checked as 'acceptable' grid types, but neither is available when i'm trying to convert it.

0 Kudos
SidneyCousins
New Contributor

I see. Golden Software's SURFER has been around for @ 20 years, and I would assume that is the file format your sofwtare is requesting. There is a free trial available from the company that would allow you to convert to their file format.

Best Regards,

jim

0 Kudos
petegillard
New Contributor III

Thanks,

i'll give that a shot and let you know.

Pete

0 Kudos