updating a mosaic dataset

Jump to solution
03-03-2021 09:20 AM
SLouq
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Every 3 years, my work has a new flyover of my parish done and we get the imagery fils as panels on an external hard drive. In 2019, I created raster datasets from these panels and then created a mosaic dataset from the raster datasets. We just had a new flyover finished and will be getting new external hard drives with the updated imagery on them and I would like to updated the raster datasets and the mosaic dataset I created in 2019. How do I go about doing this? Is it just as simple as copying the new folders containing the new panels to the same location as the existing panels and overwriting them so the path my existing datasets will be maintained. Or do I need to build each raster dataset again?

Thanks 

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

The Mosaic Data Set (MDS) is your answer.  You do not need to use a Raster Dataset at all or create a new MDS.

1.  Copy received source orthoimagery to a folder location.

2.  Open one of the source files in a GIS client like ArcGIS Pro.

2a.  Check the image tile attributes and record them for reference later.

3.  Open your existing MDS

4.  Select   Add Rasters

4a.  In the Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset window specify Input Data Folder > enter the folder location were you put your orthoimagery tiles.

5.  Set options as desired.

6. Run

In our MDS, I have added attributes that allow time control.  This helps users visualize your data above and beyond the use of ZOrder.  Here's what we use for time domain fields:

• DateBegin ( type: esriFieldTypeDate, alias: DateBegin, length: 8 )
  • DateEnd ( type: esriFieldTypeDate, alias: DateEnd, length: 8 )
  • DateIntBegin ( type: esriFieldTypeSmallInteger, alias: DateInBegin )
  • DateIntEnd ( type: esriFieldTypeSmallInteger, alias: DateIntEnd )

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

What do you mean by imagery panel? Is it being supplied in some format which you then have to export/convert into a .tif or similar to then create the Mosaic Dataset from?

Is this new imagery for the entire previous area covered by the Mosaic Dataset (MD)?  If so I would just create a new MD.

Bear in-mind that if you did repath or replace the source rasters instead, you would have to recompute pyramids and overviews if you have any, along with the associated colour balancing.

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the reply David!

No these panels are .tif files. Some are 4 in files in a checkerboard pattern and others were individual 9 in tiles. I just created raster datasets of the 4in .tif files and the 9in tiles and mosaiced each set individually. Then I created my final mosaic dataset where I stitched the 4 in and 9in datasets together. I was just wondering if I could take the new imagery and just copy those files into the same place where the existing ones are and if the raster and mosaic datasets would just update automatically as long as the file path stayrf the same instead of having to go and rebuild each raster dataset with the new imagery.

Hope this explains what I am asking!

Thanks

0 Kudos
DavidPike
MVP Frequent Contributor

Well you can just load all the TIFs by specifying the workspace (folder) containing the new imagery.  this process can also generate the overviews etc.  I don't see any need to stitch anything together. 

0 Kudos
SLouq
MVP Regular Contributor

Thanks for the response David!

I said stitched but what I really did was just create another mosaic dataset out of the individual 4in and 9in mosaic datasets.

0 Kudos
Todd_Metzler
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

The Mosaic Data Set (MDS) is your answer.  You do not need to use a Raster Dataset at all or create a new MDS.

1.  Copy received source orthoimagery to a folder location.

2.  Open one of the source files in a GIS client like ArcGIS Pro.

2a.  Check the image tile attributes and record them for reference later.

3.  Open your existing MDS

4.  Select   Add Rasters

4a.  In the Add Rasters To Mosaic Dataset window specify Input Data Folder > enter the folder location were you put your orthoimagery tiles.

5.  Set options as desired.

6. Run

In our MDS, I have added attributes that allow time control.  This helps users visualize your data above and beyond the use of ZOrder.  Here's what we use for time domain fields:

• DateBegin ( type: esriFieldTypeDate, alias: DateBegin, length: 8 )
  • DateEnd ( type: esriFieldTypeDate, alias: DateEnd, length: 8 )
  • DateIntBegin ( type: esriFieldTypeSmallInteger, alias: DateInBegin )
  • DateIntEnd ( type: esriFieldTypeSmallInteger, alias: DateIntEnd )