underwater mosaic with overlapping photos

09-11-2019 10:48 PM
mohannadalarifi
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

What is the best approach to creating a mosaic with underwater photos.

The photos are black and white. They suffer from non-uniform illumination, i.e. the middle of the photo is bright and the edges are black. My attempts creating a mosaic with such photos result in a mosaic with stripes marks.

An example of an ideal result is attached.thanks. 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PavanYadav
Esri Contributor

Hi mohannad alarifi

How did you try to mosaic the rasters? Have you tried Mosaic datasets—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop ?

0 Kudos
mohannadalarifi
New Contributor

Yes. Blending options hasn't yielded good results yet. 

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

I presume you have the individual images and they are georeferenced (possibly using world files).Create a mosaic dataset. Run Build Footprints. If the image have not previously been rectified (IE do not have black borders) then you use the by geometry option else use by radiometry. This is used to mask out the totally black areas.

The use Color Balance with parameters Dodging, Color Grid. There are some other parameters you can adjust such as the prestretch and gamma value. If the resulting images become too dark consider using a target image which in this case could be an extremely low resolution image covering the area that has a value of 128. Once you have a mosaic dataset, set the Mosaic Method to closest to center such that as you pan around the order of the images will be changed to make put the most central image on top. Note the color correction (in this case dodging) can be turned on/off as a property of the mosaic dataset. 

0 Kudos