Show each raster within a mosaic dataset separately.

03-08-2018 02:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am getting a large number of aerials that I'd like to put in a mosaic dataset. The client would like to see each one discretely though, and I haven't figured out how to separate the individual rasters out without creating awkward layers that contain footprints and the boundary for each layer.

Is it possible to separate out each raster without showing the footprints and boundaries?

I've tried definition querying rasters, locking rasters (basically the same thing), and I haven't had success.

Thanks

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
20 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

There are various ways. If you click on the "..." of the layer in web viewer you will see an 'Image Display Order' option. This allows you to have the layer ordered based on an attribute, or use 'A list of image' and you can define the image ID. There will be a new 'Image Selector' tool coming out soon to make this much easier. Additionally there is an "Image Selector" widget as part of WABIS. ( GitHub - Esri/WAB-Image-Services-Widgets: Web AppBuilder widgets for Image Services (WABIS)  )  What is the specific functionality you are looking for. Most users do not want to see a long list of layers to pick from, but would rather select the appropriate image from a drop down.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Is Image Display Order supposed to separate out the individual rasters in a web map? I've tried many combinations and I still just have the one image, unseparated.

Thank you,

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Setting a Display Order will only control that specific layer. If you need a number of different layers then each needs to be set separately. Having a webmap with lost of layers is not recommended. Better to have an app that enables user to select the layers to be displayed. Check out the image selector in WABIS. 

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Just continuing on the thread above.  I am also interested in looking at separate images that comprise a Sentinel-2 mosaic. I have my definition query set up and also locked the rasters.

However, when I click  "Add Selected Rasters to Map" as directed above, I just see many duplicate rasters (they appear to be the mosaic image).  I do not have have an Image Server license, just a developer account that allowed be to add the Sentinel-2 Image Service in the first place.

Does the "Add Selected Rasters to Map" functionality require an Image Server license?

Thanks,

Garrer Duffy

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Please clarify what service you are connected to. Especially with Sentinel-2 which is broken into smaller tiles it is important to zoom into an areas first. In some case is it best to create a selection set that defines the images of interest. When you use 'Add Selected Raster to Map' you should get multiple layers each with a different tile. It prompts for the name of the group layer to create as well as the attribute to be used to create the layer name. You should be seeing the 'same image'.  This works with all levels of ArcGIS Pro (and ArcMap). No Server license required.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Peter,

Indeed, I create a mosaic based on 19 selected rasters; create a layer, and execute 'Add Selected Raster to Map'.  I see then, 19 individual layers within a single group.  Each layer is individually named correctly and within the Mosaic properties of each layer, I see that they are 'lock'ed to the (correct) corresponding objectid for that name.  However, the displayed raster is not correct, they are all identical.  They layers are not refreshing to the corresponding object id.

I am zoomed in to a fairly small area (3x5 km, 10 metres per pixel) and am connected to the Sentinel-2 Image Server (arcgis/services/Sentinel2/ImageServer)

Perhaps the data required exceeds the stated limits?  But 19 < 50, what about Maximum Request Size (4000x4000)?  Is that per item or per request?

As an experiment, I tried with 3 selected rasters instead of  19 but still having the same issues.

URL: https://sentinel.arcgis.com:443/arcgis/services/Sentinel2/ImageServer
Capabilities: Image,Metadata,Catalog,Mensuration
Data Representation Type: Generic
Supports Time: No
Item Metadata Level: Basic
Maximum Number of Records: 2000
Maximum Number of Rasters per Mosaic: 50
Maximum Number of Items Downloadable per Request: 50
Maximum Request Size (Columns and Rows): 4000, 4000

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

That is strange. I just tried the same thing and get the expected results.

The issue is nothing to do with any of the above properties.

Can you check the properties of the layers. They should reference the separate scenes.

If these are different then I'm not sure what is going on on your machine.

Can you check turning of the caching on the layer.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

Yes, each layer is locked to the correct objectid but the displayed raster is incorrect (they are duplicates of the parent mosaic rather than the component raster corresponding to objectid)).

I am using ArcMap Desktop, if that makes any difference.  There is no 'per layer' Cache option. But I have cleared the local cache to no effect.

In the ArcMap Options in Desktop: Raster > Image Server Layer, "use service cache" by default is checked (it's the only option).

There is a date range definition query set up on the 'parent' mosaic layer (from which the a selection layer is specified), if that makes any difference?

I even played around with the transmission compression (LZ77 and LERC), thinking it was a data transmission issue but to no avail.

At somewhat of a loss now...

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm not sure what the issue is that you are having. I tried in ArcMap (2.6.1) and saw no issues.

Below shows a group layer with large collection of Sentinel Scenes (from Living Atlas). Two turn on and swipe to show the difference.

What version of ArcMap are you using. Can you try on another computer. I'm just wondering if there is some setting you have set on the current configuration.

0 Kudos
GarretDuffy
Occasional Contributor

OK, I will try on another machine. 

Related to my query concerning Sentinel-2 data, do you know if product L2A will be made available through an ESRI Image Service.  Currently, it is only product L1C.

Thanks,

Garret

0 Kudos