Show each raster within a mosaic dataset separately.

03-08-2018 02:14 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am getting a large number of aerials that I'd like to put in a mosaic dataset. The client would like to see each one discretely though, and I haven't figured out how to separate the individual rasters out without creating awkward layers that contain footprints and the boundary for each layer.

Is it possible to separate out each raster without showing the footprints and boundaries?

I've tried definition querying rasters, locking rasters (basically the same thing), and I haven't had success.

Thanks

Randy McGregor

0 Kudos
20 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

You might want to move this question to https://community.esri.com/community/gis/imagery-and-remote-sensing?sr=search&searchId=284c2cbb-409d...‌, there is a greater chance that it draws attention than in this location

AbdullahAnter
Occasional Contributor III

If you have ArcGIS 10.3 or above, you can do this in two steps.

First ,Export your Mosaic Image to Raster . you can use Copy Raster tool for this . or right click on the Image on TOC and Export data.

Second, use this raster in Split Raster  and use the footprint feature class as split_polygon_feature_class (Optional).

that is all

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you, but this creates new files. I am looking for a way to isolate the files that are already part of the mosaic dataset.

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

They are various methods you can use to set the mosaic dataset to only display a specific or selection of rasters based on mosaic method and queries such that only the required images are displayed.. If you wish to have a collection of individual layers then:

In Pro

Make active top part of the mosaic dataset in the Contents

Select the records of interest

On the Data tab,  there is a 'Operations' drop down, select 'Add to Map'

In ArcMap

Select the records of interest

Right click on Footprint, Selection, Add Selected Rasters to Map.

In either case a group layer will be created that contains each of the raters as an individual layer.

If you don't want to see the Boundary & Footprint you can remove the mosaic dataset.

This method is good for working with a small subset of a mosaic dataset.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you. This appears to be one I just overlooked. I have worked with using footprint selections, but the result was the full image/boundary/footprint combination that I was hoping to avoid.

This looks promising.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It is in the documentation, right AFTER the explanation for locking rasters. I read about locking rasters and it didn't do what I wanted and didn't continue (darn me).

Adding selected rasters to map looks like just the ticket. 

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

It worked beautifully, but the resulting mxd, with the layers separated out and the mosaic dataset removed. I checked source and the layers are sourced to the mosaic dataset, despite being shown as if they were separate files.

It xon't publish. I can publish mxds with tiffs and with mosaic datasets, but this technique is creating an mxd that doesn't want to publish. I don't have the error message handy. Something about a geoprocessing service crashing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you,

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Do you have ArcGIS Image Server license? This is required to publish Image Services or MXDs that contains mosaic datasets. If you do and you are seeing an issue then this would been to be checked. Provide details on the version of ArcGIS Server you are using. Note that the best practice is not to publish Map documents that contain mosaic datasets. Better to publish the mosaic dataset as an image service and then use web maps that define different layers or better still provide ability for users to select the required scenes as is done in www.esriurl.com/landsatonaws

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We do have image server. Sorry to be so needy. Can you recommend documentation for separating out layers from an image service in a web map? I can do it in an mxd, but don't  know how to do it in a web map. I have made image services, but clients wants to see each raster separately. There are too many rasters to make an image service of each one so trying to find a way to separate each raster and still take advantage of mosaic dataset/image service. Thank you,

0 Kudos