Received .piw file...not sure how to use this in ArcGIS

Jump to solution
01-26-2021 05:56 PM
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

I am looking to publish some updated aerial imagery to our Image Server to use in a web map. We received a .piw file from a client that they are saying is the aerial. This format is new to me and it doesnt look like esri can read this.

Before I request the data in a different format, is there anything obvious I'm missing in order to bring this file into ArcGIS Pro and publish it as an image service?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

.PIW is a proprietary format from Pictometry/EagleView. It appears to contain meta information about a collection of images, but there is no public way to read it that I know. Typically a .PIW has a set of related .PSI files that are JPEG images with specific metadata in them. These should work in Drone2Map (if you rename them), but you would need to request the metadata from Pictometry to provide the camera location information. I would recommend connecting back with Pictometry to determine if they can provide the .DBF files that is sometimes provided and check on the usage licensing. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

oblique imagery? Pictometry? EagleView?  any of those names come up in the conversation?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
tigerwoulds
Occasional Contributor III

None of those came up 😐 Looks like the PIW file is a Pictometry file though. Not sure how to open or use it without their software or ArcGIS extension. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Pictometry is mention under Frame Camera in this link

Aerial imagery raster types—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

PIW suggests workspace since it obviously isn't a world file

... sort of retired...
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

.PIW is a proprietary format from Pictometry/EagleView. It appears to contain meta information about a collection of images, but there is no public way to read it that I know. Typically a .PIW has a set of related .PSI files that are JPEG images with specific metadata in them. These should work in Drone2Map (if you rename them), but you would need to request the metadata from Pictometry to provide the camera location information. I would recommend connecting back with Pictometry to determine if they can provide the .DBF files that is sometimes provided and check on the usage licensing. 

DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Bingo!

@tigerwoulds your client should have that

... sort of retired...