Raster proxies not being honored by Mosaic dataset (image service).

06-10-2021 08:33 AM
Labels (1)
harsh9as
New Contributor II

HI all

I am encounerting a issue where I used raster proxies for TIFFs stored on cloud and loaded these raster proxies in a mosaic dataset > build overviews >build pyramids >calculated statistics. Increased "Maximum number of Rasters Per Mosaic" property to 200. 

Once published as a image service, I am unable to view the rasters beyond 2nd zoom level. The imagery disappears. I assume that first 2 levels of imagery that I see are basically the overviews. I have my source dataset (raster proxy location) registered with ArcGIS server. Pro 2.8 and ArcGIS server 10.8.1 are on different machines. I tried the same process for multiple TIFFs, creating multiple mosaic datasets, without avail. 

The mosaic dataset created in Pro works as expected - renders on all given scales. Any guidance would be appriciated.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

Please split into two parts

a) Just create mosaic only using raster proxies. They should display only at larger scales (based on maxPS). Check in the raster proxy where the cache is to be written to. It must be a dedicated drive on each machine. Not a shared drive. Check this works on Pro and Server. 

b) Determine how you want to handle overviews. These will be written to a local drive and you can handle similar to other rasters then. Another alternative is to create a CRF and use that as an overview

0 Kudos
harsh9as
New Contributor II

Thanks for your input.

The mosaic is created utilizing the raster proxies only and apparently, I can view the mosaic just fine on all scales(in ArcGIS Pro). The cache to the raster proxies are stored locally on the ArcGIS Pro machine and not on a shared drive. 

Would it have anything to do with mosaic methods or operators ? 

0 Kudos
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

The display in Pro and via Web should be very similar (the same). I noticed in the screen shot that the source imagery is 4cm and has pyramids to 32cm. The display range for this is up to 96cm and the overviews appear to start at 2.88m.   There appears to be a gap. I would suggest doing define pyramids with a pixel size of 32cm. Then Build Pyramids and see if that works. Do create a copy of the mosaic dataset and delete the source image to see what scale you see the overviews.

0 Kudos