purpose of Mosaic Dataset Item Cache (not Tile Cache)

05-23-2019 11:09 AM
DaveOrlando
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

Can someone please explain the purpose of the Mosaic Dataset Item Cache?

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/tool-reference/data-management/build-mosaic-dataset-item-cache.htm

The Usage mentions that it adds a function to the chain, okay, but it also creates another folder of images. These images seem to be extremely similar to the Pyramids and the Overviews.

Where does the Item Cache come into play when data is requested?

Is it completely redundant if I've already built Pyramids and Overviews?

Thanks,

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterBecker
Esri Regular Contributor

This can be used to speed up access to data that have complex process chains. Lets say you have an image that needs to be orthorectified based on detailed terrain and the process chain includes pan-sharpening etc. If accessed using on-the-fly processing this could take time This function can be added at the end of the process chain and then pre-processed. When the specified items are accessed then the cached rasters will be used if they exists. Consider it as a cache for the individual items when complex processes are involved. A pyramid reduced resolution dataset of the source data (before processing). The Overview are a form of pyramid for the mosaic dataset. (IE the metadata for individual sources are lost). 

0 Kudos
DaveOrlando
Occasional Contributor III

okay....

I've created some of my own function chains and also use some simple built-in ones (shaded relief), should I be able to see 'cache items' or something of the like in the chain or is this hidden? I don't see anything extra.

Also, for simply viewing orthophotos I would guess this step is not necessary?....

I'll probably leave it there since I've already created it, only a few hundred GBs....

0 Kudos